Valued Contributor

Do reviews decide for you to buy or not?

Just recently I ordered Cottage Farms climbing roses, got on the reviews of them and they had fair reviews. Since I have decided from now on, if reviews are that low on ANY item, I cancel. I really wanted those roses, but cancelled. Today, I ordered Roberta's Living Quilt Succulents and so far no reviews on them. By the time the reviews come in on it, they will be gone or too late to plant for the summer. I am not a master gardener by no means, but have had pretty good luck with most plants I have bought from both vendors. They both have been good about replacing any bad plants that arrived. So, do you go on hopes of having luck and/or skill to raise good plants or do you go by reviews and hope the bad reviews were just bad gardeners? My area does not have the big selection that is shown on tv or what bigger cities can offer, so I really like to get some of unusual plants on the Q.

Super Contributor

Re: Do reviews decide for you to buy or not?

I've come to realize that if I check the reviews first, it will stop me from ordering items. I think it's a good thing. Even though no product will please everyone, I don't have enough money to buy things that aren't top-notch. Every time I've gotten too excited and ordered something from the on-air presentation without checking, it has turned out to be less than I hoped for. It depends on the number of reviews. I would certainly give more weight to larger numbers of positive ratings. If there's only a few reviews, it's too small a sample to know.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I always check reviews on all my purchases - QVC and others. I find it helpful.

Regular Contributor

I do read the reviews, and if they are over whelming in negative responses, I certainly don't buy. Now if it's one or two reviews, that are negative I may take a leap of faith, but mainly, I read why they are low rated. With the new s&h policy, it's best to take heed, and not loose money over it, having to send something back. Plus it keeps me from compulsive buying, of something I really don't need.

Respected Contributor

I've pretty much stopped ordering from the Q. I used to do it without bothering to check the reviews, but more recently I've chosen not to buy unless the reviews are at least 4+. We have excellent shopping very nearby, so I can find pretty much anything here. Once in a while I see reviews that are clearly prejudiced for some reason, and I try to ignore those.

Trusted Contributor

At least with the plants we do not have hassle with and pay for return shipping. I quit ordering plants as they come too early for my zone and I have had some real duds.
Honored Contributor

I don't pay much attention to individual ratings but I do somethimes look at the over all ratings and if the reviews in general are bad, I pass on that item.

Honored Contributor

nomar, I have found that googling the actual name of the roses from here on the internet, gives more information about the rose than what is listed here.

Angel Face rose susceptible to blackspot

Royal Gold rose can be susceptible to blackspot

Improved Blaze rose susceptible to blackspot

There are many climbing roses now available that are disease resistant.

What color were you most interested in?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Reviews are helpful to me.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I am highly influenced by reviews. However, if I really think I want the product, I try to find it locally and then make my decision.