Not applicable

Hello,

Can I grow peonies in Phoenix, AZ successfully? Any tips?

Honored Contributor
I know they don't grow in New Mexico. Never saw them in Texas either. I imagine it's too hot.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Kachina has the right idea-- the peonies need very cold soil to set their blooms. If the temperature doesn't remain at 30 degrees and under for a specified time period, the only thing that will come up is foliage w/o blooms.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor
I wasn't able to grow them in South Alabama. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Same for lilacs

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

In California, usually only early blooming and single peonies will bloom, never double, late blooming, because it gets too warm too early for them. I would google for this information, but I learned the hard way. I am wondering if cottage Farms is informing the public of this, I doubt it. I successfully grow Lilacs.

Honored Contributor

I suggest you check in with PlantDelights.com and toss out some questions to them. They are guru plant people. I don't know if you can grow peonies in AZ or not but if y ou can they'll let you know. And if you can, they'll suggest which varieties.

PlantDelights.com

check them out, you'll be amazed.

Esteemed Contributor

I managed to grow them in Los Angeles by forcing them into dormancy not with chill, but with shade. I kept them in pots on the north side of the house summer, fall, and winter, then brought them over to the south side and sunshine in spring. It was a tip I got from one of those old-time nurserymen and while it did work, it was a pain.

Enjoy the fact that you can have roses year round rather than worry about growing plants that are better suited to zones 3-7!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor
On 2/8/2015 mousiegirl said:

I California, usually only early blooming and single peonies will bloom, never double, late blooming, because it gets too warm too early for them. I would google for this information, but I learned the hard way. I am wondering if cottage Farms is informing the public of this, I doubt it. I successfully grow Lilacs.

I'm not listening to the onair presentations today, but the QVC write-ups do give the zones where the plants can be grown successfully - so yes, they are informing people at least on the website.

Hopefully - people who willingly pay good money for plants do ask questions. I'm a big believer that no one cares about my money as much as I do.

Having never seen a peony here in Florida, I wouldn't order them from anyone without asking.

Honored Contributor

Many companies such as Klehm Songsparrow in WI says right on their website: about peonies and growing them:

"HARDINESS ZONES
Herbaceous Peonies do best in USDA Zones 2-8. If you live in a warmer climate and would like to grow Peonies, here are a few suggestions we've learned from our Southern gardeners.

Choose earlier-blooming types that blossom before the heat of summer. Single and semi-double forms fare better than the double or bomb types. Plant roots no deeper than 1" below the soil surface, watering only as needed. Peonies will begin to die back in August in preparation for a period of needed dormancy. Remove foliage from garden area to avoid disease problems. Proven varieties for warmer climates include 'Do Tell', 'Coral Charm', 'Abalone Pearl', and 'Miss America'."

"Peonies require between 500-1000 winter chilling hours (approx. 3 to 6 weeks), between 32-40 degrees F to flower successfully.

Recommended to be hardy in USDA Zones 2-8.

We ship healthy, freshly dug bare root, 2-year-old Peony plants with 3-5 eyes, field grown on our farm, shipped in the fall, September through November, at the correct planting time for your gardening zone."

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼