Not applicable

I purchased Flamingo Willow tree from Cottage Farms 2 years ago and is doing well. I wanted to ask when is the correct time to trim for the first time after winter? Also do you trim a certain way to make it fuller?

Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

When I need to know something/learn something ......I just go to GOOGLE & enter my subject word: Flamingo Willow tree (care - prune)

Respected Contributor

Or could you email Cottage? If so, be sure to let them know all the specifics, like your zone. It must be a beautiful tree by now thanks to your TLC!

Honored Contributor

It's best to prune a tree when it has no leaves.

Some basics: any branches that are crossing or broken, remove to the branch bark collar. There are specific ways to make the cuts on very large branches without ripping the bark from the tree as the branch gets removed.

Lots of pictures on the internet on how to prune trees. Here is one we give to homeowners:

<cite class="_Rm">www.ccenassau.org/hort/fact_sheets/d107_pruning_trees_shrubs.pdf</cite>

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
New Contributor
I am taking a master Gardner class in Idaho and have found out many Master Gardner handbooks for your state are on line! There are several chapters on trees...look for one on line for your state and you will get expert advice on when and what to prune. There are definite dos and donts that I didn't know. Good luck!