Valued Contributor

It's slug bait time here in Washington State

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in Washington we have slugs that eat and destroy so much of our gardens if we don't fight them. The slug eggs hatch this time of year and if you haven't already done so, put out the SLUG BAIT before those little darlings each the tops off of all your bulbs and whatever else they can find.

I am putting out my slug bait today, rain or shine!!!

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Honored Contributor

Re: It's slug bait time here in Washington State

There are slug bait repellants and there are slug bait kill pellets.

The repellants are recommended for those who have pets who wander outside and put things in their mouth.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Well, here in the Washington, DC area we have a different kind of slugs. They are known as every official in the government......

They do more harm and are worse than any bug........

Don't mean to be flippant, but that's what I thought about when I read your post.

I guess every place has issues with something.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the reminder. I am also in Washington State. It is sunny today so I will make sure to get that done.

Honored Contributor

This will gross you out....when I lived in Houston I had a dampish covered patio off the kitchen. I fed the dogs right inside the back door. The slugs would come under the door, which had a high threshold, to eat any leftover dog food. I started putting a trail of salt across the threshold...no more slugs.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I actually had a large slug come down my chimney. That was one determined slug!

Honored Contributor

Have you tried diatomaceous earth? If it is put around plants, the snails and slugs back off. I collect and toss snails into an area with no plants.

Super Contributor

On 2/8/2015 DiAnne said:

I actually had a large slug come down my chimney. That was one determined slug!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! I live in Seattle too which is the slug capital of the world. Oddly enough, though, I haven't had trouble with slugs in a long time. I guess I'm just lucky.

Super Contributor

On 2/9/2015 mousiegirl said:

Have you tried diatomaceous earth? If it is put around plants, the snails and slugs back off. I collect and toss snails into an area with no plants.

Oh please tell me you didn't touch them with your bare hands!!!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 Stella Dallas said:
On 2/9/2015 mousiegirl said:

Oh please tell me you didn't touch them with your bare hands!!!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

The snails yes, never a slug. I don't see slugs any longer, used to get banana slugs and those I scooped up with a leaf or something, can't remember, and tossed them away from the garden.