Honored Contributor

Anyone Know How to Become a Master Gardener?

I'm interested, but don't know where to start!

TIA...

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Know How to Become a Master Gardener?

Maybe page JustJazzMom...

Respected Contributor

You should be able to get the certification requirements for your state by checking with a local University extension office, or local horticulture society in your area. You might also be able to get a good contact recommendation from your local nursery (unless they are really just a reseller).

Honored Contributor

In our community the extension office offers a Master Gardening class every year. You might try calling a 'county extension' office.

Honored Contributor

I'm here, I'm here!! Here you go: Terrier-- Cornell has one of the best programs for Master Gardener certification.

Click on your county and call them for information as to when the classes are held. Some counties combine their classes with other counties and some offer the course every other year and take a specific amount of people to the course. It is an expensive course by us-- figure about $200 to cover materials, cost of the professors lecturing and by us its a 3 month course meeting several times a week.

Counties in NYS

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

For everyone else interested in becoming a Master Gardener-- contact your local cooperative extension service in your state (County Offices) and ask when the classes are being held.

Classroom instruction varies from state to state AND county to county.

Esteemed Contributor

Agreed ... call your county extension office for info. Depending on where you live, courses are held once a year and last 2-3 months. Where I live, after graduating from the course, you are a probationary MG and work with a "mentor" for a year before certification. But your county extension service will send you the application and information.

Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 tototwo said:

Agreed ... call your county extension office for info. Depending on where you live, courses are held once a year and last 2-3 months. Where I live, after graduating from the course, you are a probationary MG and work with a "mentor" for a year before certification. But your county extension service will send you the application and information.

Good luck!

Here's a link for all of the USA: States Cooperative Extensions

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 JustJazzmom said:

I'm here, I'm here!! Here you go: Terrier-- Cornell has one of the best programs for Master Gardener certification.

Click on your county and call them for information as to when the classes are held. Some counties combine their classes with other counties and some offer the course every other year and take a specific amount of people to the course. It is an expensive course by us-- figure about $200 to cover materials, cost of the professors lecturing and by us its a 3 month course meeting several times a week.

Counties in NYS

THANK YOU!

This is just what I needed!