Regular Contributor

Brecks Flower Garden Catalog

After starting to get a bit cabin fever, the postman brought me my first garden catalog! Yea! So nice to see all the new items! I did pre-order the new Downton Abbey Rose series. They have a Hybrid Tea Rose named for Lady Rose, called Pretty Lady Rose, and it's a lovely dark pink. Then I got Anna's Promise a Grandiflora Rose it's a combination of golden petals with a pink blush and glowing bronze reverse, it's named for Anna Bates. They are on sale and coming from Holland. Can't wait to get digging in the garden and watch these two grow. Their phone number for Brecks is, 513-345-1511, for a catalog, they have all kinds of goodies to look at and get or at least wish for. Call them or go on-line Brecks.com/springsale. Have fun planning your garden!

Honored Contributor

Re: Brecks Flower Garden Catalog

I hate to disappoint you but 'Pretty Lady Rose' is not disease resistant so be prepared for blackspot and falling leaves throughout the growing season.

'Anna's Promise' is disease resistant probably because of one its parents is 'About Face'. It is an excellent performer in my own rose garden and I bought an own root version (non grafted of 'About Face'). ""Anna's Promise' was one of the ones I was waiting for reviews on disease resistance.

'About Face':

Recommended and reputable rose companies:

Chamblee's own root

Roses Unlimited own root

Edmund's Roses grafted roses; carries the Pretty Lady Rose rose so its not exclusive to Breck's selling it.

Heirloom Roses own root

Regan Nursery bare root

Review about Breck's Bulbs from Garden Watchdog

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Regular Contributor

Thanks, JustJazzmom for the tip. Down here in southern VA we have a lot of the black spot to contend with, so I will do all I can for these roses to help them out. I will say I have used real garlic bulbs planted amongst the roses to ward off aphids and it works great. The " About Face" you shown is so beautiful, thanks once again for posting! Happy Gardening!

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 poshmini said:

Thanks, JustJazzmom for the tip. Down here in southern VA we have a lot of the black spot to contend with, so I will do all I can for these roses to help them out. I will say I have used real garlic bulbs planted amongst the roses to ward off aphids and it works great. The " About Face" you shown is so beautiful, thanks once again for posting! Happy Gardening!

I've gotten to the point that if the rose develops blackspot, out it goes. There are so many new disease resistant roses to chose from now because I don't want to spend my time spraying pesticides if possible.

I use ladybugs to ward off the aphids. Used to use insecticidal soap but found it not to be as effective as the ladybugs.

Super Contributor

My kids sent me the ""Anna's Promise"" rose last year. It did beautifully at first and then started to decline. I tried all the usual remedies. Nothing helped. Turned out to be a virus.

New Jersey now has more stringent regulations for plants grown in other states. The plant must have a certificate stating that it was inspected for disease and insects issued by the state in which it was grown.

Unfortunately ""Anna"" was grown with other roses and the virus spread. I lost 3. Because of this I'd be very cautious about catalog plants.

Honored Contributor

I like to garden but avoid roses - as a rule they're too fussy.

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 Anglophilly said:

My kids sent me the "Anna's Promise" rose last year. It did beautifully at first and then started to decline. I tried all the usual remedies. Nothing helped. Turned out to be a virus.

New Jersey now has more stringent regulations for plants grown in other states. The plant must have a certificate stating that it was inspected for disease and insects issued by the state in which it was grown.

Unfortunately "Anna" was grown with other roses and the virus spread. I lost 3. Because of this I'd be very cautious about catalog plants.

If it was from a catalog, I hope you told the company that it declined because of a virus. Which virus was it, do you know?

Rose rosette disease (RRD) is now on the East Coast and it has specific symptoms for diagnosis--

red stems that do not turn green over time, the canes also look over time like 'witches brooms'-- google photos of RRD for good pictures-- the thorns or prickles increase over these canes (stems) as compared to other canes on the plant and finally the flowers are the right color and shape but they may be smaller in size than normal.

Only way to eliminate the virus is to remove the entire plant including its roots and throw out-- do not compost the plant at all.

RRD is spread by mites that were in contact with wild roses (Rosa multiflora) and then flew to the cultivated roses. Its even possible that maybe aphids (though it has not been proven) might be vectors for the RRD or maybe had the mites on them before infecting the roses.

Most states do have stringent laws in place to prevent insects and diseases from crossing into other states. Texas is another with a specific stamp or sticker on their plant material sent to me. Unfortunately insects cannot read English and I wonder also if Sandy brought some of these critters to our area as well.

Respected Contributor

I've been pruning my roses this week here in California. Here is a supplement I add to each bush: One cup of alfalfa meal(not pellets) with two tablespoons of epsom salts. This promotes cane growth and flower color. I also apply a commercial systemic fertilizer.
Super Contributor

JustJazzMom----could've been mosaic. The plant died very quickly after one blossom. I googled to figure out what could be wrong and found this:

http://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/pi/reg/rose.html

Thanks for the info. I think Knockouts are a better choice for me---not fussy.

Honored Contributor

Some great photos and explanation of symptoms on this Heirloom Roses website about RMD (rose mosaic disease)