Honored Contributor

Green thumbs, please speak to this brown thumb!!

Question!! Watching this Roberta's Arkansas blue star collection. I'm thinking I'd like to see more color in the yard this year. I have a lot of back yard sun closer to the house, in the front yard, front of the house, some shade and there I'd like to put some ground cover in. Now I do know some of this is what area you live in.

But if this man is selling something for Spring, what do you do with the flowers until winter is over? Grow them in the basement!!??

These look kind of large for that. Little seedlings I can understand, but these huge ones?

Holy smokes Begonia's!!! Huge. I gotta watch and write down some numbers. And do they send instructions on when to plant all these. They are beautiful!

Super Contributor

Re: Green thumbs, please speak to this brown thumb!!

All the plants from QVC come with growing guides and should be delivered at the right time to plant. Planting depends on the weather where you live so you may have to keep the plants in a sheltered area. You want to protect the roots from freezing, not so much the tops.

The problem with plant collections is that different varieties bloom at different times, and light, soil and water requirements may be very different. You could google individual plant names or get a good simple gardening guide book. It's easy to get carried away with the gorgeous catalog and tv offerings.

Gardening is learned through trial and error. Sometimes you get a spectacular success and sometimes you get compost material. Learning is fun and there are no grades.

Honored Contributor

Re: Green thumbs, please speak to this brown thumb!!

Thank you Anglophilly! I appreciate it. I'm tired of white snow, and thinking colorful blooms!! LOL