Honored Contributor

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Spring 2015 migration map

Below is a link to save on your pute for those interested in watching the hummers move north and to help with the timing of when to put out the feeders again. Around the 22nd-25th of February, sightings will start appearing in TX, LA, AL...all along the southern coastline and southern tip of TX. For us here, they don't start arriving til about the 1st week of May. Although it's a long way off yet, it's fun to watch the progression of the migration Smile

There are also links you can click on for other species as well...like the Rufous Hummingbird too.

LINK

Here is the Spring migration map from 2014. Use the zoom tools along the left side of the map so you can see the general times sightings were posted (for those not familiar with this map/site). Click on the (+) 1st, then click on the area of the country where you live. Then click one or two more times to zoom in more. You can then click the (i) tool on the left side of the map to then be able to click on specific dots/sighting reports and find out the date/place/town/city/etc...HTH

LINK

Honored Contributor

Re: Ruby-throated Hummingbird Spring 2015 migration map

Sadly we don't get the Ruby Throated, although we get the Rufous in July. Most of ours are Anna's Hummers.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thank you Susan Louise. Watching for the hummingbirds is a big deal for us. I live in upstate SC and we put at least one feeder out in March for the migration. We get ruby throats here and really look forward to their arrival. I'll be watching the migration progress.
If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

You give me hope spring is not that far away. Yes!!!

Honored Contributor

For those that want to see a cool sighting from last year, click on the 2014 map link in the OP. You will see an ivory dot/sighting in the gulf of Mexico. Click on it to read info and see pics {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2015 Susan Louise said:

For those that want to see a cool sighting from last year, click on the 2014 map link in the OP. You will see an ivory dot/sighting in the gulf of Mexico. Click on it to read info and see pics {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

That's very cool, thank you for pointing it out. I wish they'd said how far at sea they were. The map I've used before is at hummingbirds.net. I wonder if the two are related. Well, they don't appear here in PA until early-May so I won't have to worry about it for a while.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks! this is extremely helpful.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I have the ruby and the annas all year round her in WA state. Must refill feeder 2x a week right now.

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2015 wagirl said:

I have the ruby and the annas all year round her in WA state. Must refill feeder 2x a week right now.

Lucky you! Although I have to admit I'm happy having to deal with the feeder - making nectar, filling it and cleaning it - only four to five months a year (May - September).

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2015 wagirl said:

There are several species of Hummingbirds in your state of Washington, but they are not Ruby-throated. You may want to do some homework/read books or google sites online for info. If you also go back to my initial post in this thread and click on the 2nd link, you will see the migration of the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in 2014...they don't even come close to WA Wink

I have spent several hundred hours doing so myself over the years and know the species that frequent the western US/coastline and those in the south, and the Ruby-throated from the midwest-east and up into Canada

For anyone interested, below is a couple of links by state of Hummingbird species for those who are newbies:

*SIDE NOTE* - The listing of Ruby-throated in Alaska in the 1st link below is based upon a very RARE sighting report, not of the usual/regular species of the area. Although I am NOT an expert, I have done LOTS of reading about Hummingbirds. We have an entire shelf about birding/guide books like Sibley's and DH and I do document our visitors during the Spring/Fall migrations too.

INFO

OPERATION RUBY THROAT (Scroll down to see lots of maps)

There is also a Hummingbird Forum I recommend as well...link below:

FORUM

HTH Smile