Contributor

Lemony bliss! (A Roberta's Meyer lemon tree success story)

I posted a while back about my Roberta's Meyer lemon tree. Well, I finally tasted the fruit (literally) of my labors last night. To be fair, though, my "labors" were fairly minimal. I simply kept her watered and provided her with lots of light and love.

I plucked off one of the 12 lemons and shared it with my sister. We cut it in half and were shocked at how juicy the fruit was. It was tangy and refreshing. My sister squeezed some into her Diet Coke. I simply sucked every last bit of juice out of my half.

I won't likely be doing anything fancy with the remaining crop of 11 fruits, but I will definitely enjoy them. The remaining peel was dropped into my teeny crock pot and is now steeping with orange peels and cinnamon and making my house fragrant. This one was definitely a success!!

Now, of course, I have to prune the plant when I have plucked off all of her fruits. God, I hope I don't kill her!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Lemony bliss! (A Roberta's Meyer lemon tree success story)

I wish I lived next store to you...lol...thinking about planting one!

Trusted Contributor

Where are you approximately located. Is this tree outside for the summer and brought inside for the winter ? I would love to try one. I live in the mid-atlantic - Maryland and I do know people who have some success with little orange trees.

Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Pie1993 said:

Where are you approximately located. Is this tree outside for the summer and brought inside for the winter ? I would love to try one. I live in the mid-atlantic - Maryland and I do know people who have some success with little orange trees.

I'm not far from you - Philadelphia suburbs! I have her outside in a pot on my deck when the weather is decent. She was out on my deck from about mid-May (when I received her) to late September or so last year.

Valued Contributor

Nice to read a success story. I put one of the combo lemon/lime trees in my Wish List last year and see they are back in stock (M43062 and about $10 more than last year). My neighbors have a Meyer lemon tree and I used one of the lemons last week and got more about a third of a cup of juice from half of the lemon! Congrats on your success and good luck with your pruning!

Honored Contributor

It sounds wonderful! I think the tree is supposed to be pruned after the last frost, and I found this.

Use clean, sharp shears to prune out dead or damaged limbs immediately after the last expected frost for your area. Trim out any branches that rub or cross over each other to open the canopy up slightly and allow for air circulation. Snip some tips off to shape the lemon tree to your taste. Indoor and backyard citrus trees require minimal pruning.