Valued Contributor

Can someone please tell me how to keep my poinsettia alive...

Down the street from me there is a house and in front of there garage they have the most beautiful poinsettia plant/tree in a medium size plastic looking container. The plant is all red, not one single green leaf to see and it is huge. I mean it stands about 5 feet tall, and is every bit of 6 feet around. The darn thing is gorgeous and I went and bought myself one only much smaller at The Fresh Market. It cost me $30 and I so badly want it to stay alive and be as beautiful as there's. Please don't tell me to stop by and speak to them, I am not much of a people person and I wouldn't even want to, I'm way too shy.

Do you have any tips, advice? I live in northern Florida. Thank you because I have never had a green thumb.

Contributor

Re: Can someone please tell me how to keep my poinsettia alive...

One of the girls in my office told me the secret is to put one ice cube a day into the pot, and that's all the water it needs.

Believe it or not, the plant lived and bloomed again the next year!!!

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I thought there was a whole entire process to go through. Putting in a dark closet at exactly a certain time of the year for a certain period of time and then bringing it back out at a specific time. I don't recall the time frames. You can google it probably.

I've never had luck with them. They usually start losing their leaves within a week of purchase. I gave up and don't get them anymore.

Valued Contributor

I'll try the ice cube thing then. Thanks! Gosh I am sorry to hear you didn't have any luck with them sparklestar. This is my first attempt with one. I hope it thrives. I had no idea about the closet trick, that sounds sorta weird to me. But thanks anyway.

Honored Contributor

I live in southern WV, so my only experience with keeping poinsettia's alive, is with potted indoor plants. I would think a poinsettia would naturally thrive and flourish in the Florida climate. Potted poinsettia's prefer bright, filtered light. They also prefer a loose potting mix that drains well around their roots, and do not like to be overwatered. For my inside plants, I want to stick my finger deep into the soil and only feel moisture near the tip of my finger, not feel wetness as soon as I stick my finger into the dirt. I would probably use a weak solution of Miracle Gro once a month on a poinsettia growing outside.

My indoor poinsettias usually drop their colored bracs by late January into February, so that by June when it is safe to put them on the front porch, I have a leafy green plant. I let the poinsettia grow on the porch all summer, and bring them inside by early October. I let the plants adjust to being back inside for several weeks, and do not mess with them very much. In late October, I either put them in a closet, or cover them with a large cardboard box for 14 hours a day, for 6 weeks, to help them reset and form the colored bracs by Christmas. Once they are blooming again, I water sparingly close to the stalk so that the water goes directly to the roots, and does not saturate all the dirt in the plant, which encourages mildew growth.

Good luck with your growing your poinsettia! Just set your plant outside and let it start adapting. Remember less is best when it comes to a poinsettia; less water, less touching and fussing, and less disturbing of its roots.

Respected Contributor

Do you have a state extension service in your county? Seriously, give them a call and they may have the secret for your area. Keep the tag on the plant so you know exactly what it is (or go back to the market and write down what it is). You might also ask the owner of the Beaut. Best of Christmas luck!!!

Super Contributor

The problem is the grower grew it in a hot house and now you want to grow them outside. You have to wean them off of the indoors and slowly get them used to outside. They need full sun and starting in Fall no artificial light on them or they won't bloom.
Valued Contributor

Here are several links to help you get tips, depending on what you want to do:

(I am posting both the dead url & the active link, in case one doesn't work. Links on this board are always dicey at best)

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Poinsettias-Growing-To-Next-Christmas

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Poinsettias-Growing-To-Next-Christmas

How to plant poinsettias in FL:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7544988_plant-poinsettia-plants-outdoors-florida.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7544988_plant-poinsettia-plants-outdoors-florida.html

Hope these links help. Good luck! I grew some in FL many years ago, & remember that the trick is *where* you plant them. They want a specific type & amount of shade, so learn those tips & pick your spot carefully; then they'll reward you with annual blooms Smiley Happy

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/map/ click to find your local extension service office

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Thank you everybody, I forgot to mention the plant down the street has been an outside plant for over 2 years now. It's always sitting in there driveway. Thanks again, wish me luck everyone. Smile {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}