Honored Contributor

Only 17 more days, and counting, til the days start becoming longer again. Although it was just last week I had finally completed our holiday decorating, my mind is more focused on the 1st seed catalog's arrival.

The warmer, (near balmy some days) weather we've had here lately has also sparked thoughts of next Spring. Even the long term forecast for the next few weeks keeps our temps in the mid 40's-mid 50's!

Anyone else dreaming of gardening, birds returning to nest and longer days again? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Count me in.

Honored Contributor

I've got my eye on several new hybrid teas for my garden that I am researching where to purchase.

All are Kordes roses.

Souvenir de Baden-Baden hybrid tea

Madame Anisette hybrid tea rose

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I'm in. I love to look at the seed catalogs and work on garden planning. Love the longer days of warmth and sun. I love getting my hands in soil. We put in a new shed this fall, so I have been planning the landscaping around the shed. I can't wait for spring to start putting in the new shrubs and flowers.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes! I can almost smell the warming soil. I'm enjoying my houseplants immensely right now and I see and hear woodpeckers, titmice, wrens, cardinals, creepers, blue jays. flickers, robins, nuthatch, chickadees out my kitchen window. The squirrels bury, my dogs dig up . . . on and on it goes. Hubby is getting a book on composting for Christmas.

I had a friend who had solstice/equinox parties every time they happened. Decadent but enlightening! We always danced.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

Hi Susan Louise!

Yes, I'm dreaming of springtime already! I don't mind winter, I just don't want to experience another winter like last years! That was brutal!

We had a pond put in our backyard this past spring and currently have five koi and one goldfish living in it. I'm a nervous wreck worrying about them! We have done all the winter prep we're supposed to do but I still worry (that's what I do best, lol)! They seem to be hibernating now and as funny as it may sound, I miss them! I miss sitting there feeding them while enjoying my own lunch. The waterfall has been shut down for the winter so I don't even have that sound to enjoy. I guess starting it up in the spring gives me something to look forward to (as well as all those seed catalogs that will be arriving in the mail)!

Thank you for posting this ~ 17 more days until the days start getting longer? YAY!!!

Merry Christmas, Susan Louise!

Honored Contributor

I am always in great anticipation of the winter solstice. I hate these short days, and can't wait to be on the other side of the mountain on this one!

While I long for the end of winter even before it begins, I am not that eager to dream of the outside work. Our large vegetable garden, and fruit orchard are lots of work (along with twice a week mowings in the spring), and I can wait for all that to start again. If we could have winter without the bad roads, I'd be fine, and late spring is one of my favorite times of year, but I can wait for all the work it brings.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree, OHmom - I love that transition period when things are happening as the earth warms (in my hemisphere, anyway), before the real work starts up again. The urgency to get necessary things done. I hope I've done enough to prepare for the winter, and I'm fortunate to be able to avoid driving if the roads are bad. We are entering what looks like a period of rain so the slippery elm and red maples should be very happy. I just hung a new suet bag on my dogwood, so the birds are eating the fruit from the tree and discovering a new source of food. It's fun to watch the hierarchy of the birds as they find it.

Happy Holidays!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We have a few hard months of winter to go but can enjoy planning next year's gardens. Before we know it, Philip Watson and the Wallien Family will be back on Q.

Honored Contributor

Ah yes, looking towards Spring also. Just 3 days ago I did rake #7 of my yard for this Fall and was thinking then that I wished it was Spring clean up of the yard. Usually in Feb. I start looking at catalogs and planning what I am doing for the coming season. That's in between shoveling the driveway of course, lol.

"To each their own, in all things".