Respected Contributor

Before I make a trip to the garden center, I thought I'd ask on this forum the following:

Is it okay to fertilize my indoor plants now? I plan to use fish emulsion.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

In my opinion, you can give a light feeding if it has been a while since the last feed. Double-check if you go to the garden center.

Honored Contributor

You usually do not feed your indoor plants during the winter months but wait until March -- light increases at that time so you want to coincide your fertilizer with the longer hours of daylight.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I fertilize my winter flowering plants- like Christmas cactus and amaryllis - now.

The others - I wait until Feb., when the days are noticeably longer.

Honored Contributor
Doesn't fish emulsion stink up your house when used inside? That stuff is nasty. I won't use it period.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Understandably, most would guide towards not fertilizing the houseplants during the winter season. I have many houseplants that seem to benefit from a watered down application of fish/seaweed at all times of the year. It seems to me it just depends on the plant and the situation. Warm, sunny rooms encourage plant growth, even in winter, and the fish emulsion is a mild tonic that encourages health, which in turn, encourages natural, healthy growth.

I use fish emulsion when I sense my plant "buddies" need it. I watch the rate of growth and calculate the relationship to the environment, and feed as needed. Some I let go dormant during winter, and I try to give them a cooler spot in the house so they can rest.

It's never a one size fits all, in the plant world. I don't find the scent to be a problem (fish emulsion). Gives me a reason to buy more candles.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Thanks, gardeners, I'll try it on my hardier plants and watch what happens.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown