Valued Contributor

Can anyone suggest a tree or tall bush that I can plant to fill a gap in my hedge. My house is higher than my neighbors' and I get a full view of their back porch through this gap. I want to plant a tree that will grow quickly and hide the view.

Honored Contributor

Depends on where you live--

Leyland cypress is a good evergreen-- grows fast and fills in gaps pretty fast. You can keep it to a manageable height if desired.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Does depend on your location. Down here Ficus works, back north Yew might be OK. Check with local agricultural people.

Honored Contributor

Many evergreen trees or shrubs will grow fairly quickly. Because, as noted, it does depend on where you live, I'd suggest a visit to a local garden center.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

We live in NC and have a wonderful climate. We had Leyland Cypress but a couple of them got a disease and died. We wanted to plant some more of them but were advised that they are very prone to disease.

Honored Contributor

Try some Western arborivitae-- Thuja plicata

From a website:http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/3010/3010-1487/3010-1487.html

There are numerous cultivars that vary in size, form, and color. Some of the more popular cultivars in the trade are:

• ‘Atrovirens’ a fast-growing conical form with dark green foliage; suitable for a hedge
  • ‘Candian Gold’ broad conical form with striking yellow foliage
  • ‘Green Giant’ a very popular fast-growing clone in the nursery and landscape trade, and is recommended as a replacement for Leyland cypress. This cultivar is a putative hybrid between Thuja plicata and an Asian arborvitae species (T. standishii). ‘Green Giant’ is reported as having green foliage in the winter (no typical foliage browning as other Thuja (and Platycladus) species, but observations prove otherwise.
  • ‘Green Sport’ (‘Watnong Green’) typical of the species but with good green winter foliage color (reputedly)
  • Green Splendor™ fast-growing conical form with lustrous green foliage
  • Steeplechase® narrow conical form with lustrous dark green foliage; reputedly deer resistant but internet feedback appears this claim is untrue. Originated as a sport (mutation) from ‘Green Giant’
  • ‘Sunshine’ slow-growing conical form with yellow foliage
  • ‘Virescens’ typical of the species but with good green winter foliage color (reputedly)
  • ‘Zebrina’ slow-growing conical form with yellow banding on foliage (except in southern locations)
Super Contributor

Contact a Master Gardener at your local Cooperative Extension Service. They'll be able to tell you what will work best in your area.

Valued Contributor

Thank you Jazzmom - I am going to look at the ones you recommend. I did see a nice tree today that I am interested in. Turns out to be American Holly. We are going to the garden shop to see what is available.

Honored Contributor
On 11/10/2014 Nicecupoftea said:

Thank you Jazzmom - I am going to look at the ones you recommend. I did see a nice tree today that I am interested in. Turns out to be American Holly. We are going to the garden shop to see what is available.

American holly can reach at least 50' tall and is wide as well.

Some info about Ilex opaca.

Esteemed Contributor

Canadian Hemlock is another great evergreen.

If you can get the holly in a place where it is happy, it is a beautiful shrub. I have a few on my property and they look gorgeous especially in winter with their red berries. If you get holly, don't you need a male and female? I think you can get a hybrid that is both male and female. Love holly!

LM