Respected Contributor

White spots/streaks on clay pots

What are these white spots on my clay pots? Are they mineral deposits and will they affect the growth of the plant?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: White spots/streaks on clay pots

My guess would be mildew, which is the reason I don't like to use clay pots unless it is for outdoor plants in the summer.
Super Contributor

Likely it is mineral deposits, not mildew, and should not affect plant growth.

Honored Contributor

I would guess mineral deposits. I get them on my pots, and there is no mildew out here in the desert. There is poor water, however, with minerals. Won't hurt the plants.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It's effervescence from minerals in the clay and water. I personally like pots that have that patina of wear and use. People pay to have that effect fabricated, when it can be had naturally. Give me moss, too! Matisse did a beautiful, simple painting of a pink geranium in a weathered clay pot.

Namaste to you as well.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

If its on the inside of the pot, it could be some of the naturally occurring salt found in our water. Try some vinegar mixed with water and use a toothbrush to remove the mineral deposits if you dislike it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I agree with previous posters - it's minerals and salts from the potting soil, water, and fertilizers. Sometimes it looks nice. But if you don't care for it, soak the pot in plain water for a day or two. Most of the white stuff will leach out of the clay and into the water with little or no scrubbing from you.

Esteemed Contributor

I get those from our hard water. My clay pots also "crumble" from the harsh weather, but are too heavy to move.