Esteemed Contributor

Cleaning a newspaper box (rural delivery)

I have two white plastic like boxes on a pole on the end of my driveway near my black mailbox. The boxes are under pine trees. Needless to say I am trying to clean them and take off lots of residue which have covered them with a brown coating. I have tried soap and water, ammonia sprays, you name it. The stuff is stuck and I don't think the newpaper carrier will replace them.

Anyone have a name of a cleaner or solvent that can make the boxes return to CLEAN and look white again?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning a newspaper box (rural delivery)

Anything strong enough to disolve the pine tar will probably ruin the plastic. You could ask at the hardware store for ideas............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I am wondering if a Mr. Clean eraser would remove the substance. Of, if that doesn't work and the substance is sticky, maybe some Goo Gone. Rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits, deep Woods Off, WD-40 followed by a rinse of water with vinegar solution, and non-diluted Murphy's Oil Soap are also possible solutions. Most of them need to be applied liberally and then allowed to sit for 10-15 minutes to soften the sap.

Good luck!

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

I think I try might coating them with Dawn dish soap and letting it sit there for a couple of hours.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

I would just accept it. I would love to have my paper delivered into a box (ours gets tossed at the end of the driveway and it's not always dry).

If the pine trees are healthy, you're doubly blessed.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Pine tar? I use rubbing alcohol to remove pine resin off my hands. Try it on a small spot on the box and see if it works.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone. Yes, healthy pine trees. Beautiful, yes, but a mess this time of the year when they shed like my two long haired chihuahuas. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I will try all the suggestions. If I end up with no mailbox they I guess I will have to call and beg the distributor to install two more... not sure I will get any attention or any help.

Honored Contributor

Paint thinner.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

bonnielu: I was also thinking that if you found something that did clean the mailboxes, I would cover them with clear plastic that is thicker than saran wrap or something like that. I would think a hardware store or home improvement store would have something like that. Wrap it around, tape it on the bottom, and then when the sap running season is over, just remove it.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

Can you call the newspaper and just ask them to replace the boxes?