Respected Contributor

Why do mine die before the season is over. T.they last for maybe 2 weeks if I'm lucky. I've purchased mums at least 3 or 4 years in a row and each year, they just die. I water them and death!!! What am I doing wrong.

Honored Contributor

We bought mums to put out around the camper in Sept and the bunnies ate them.

Super Contributor

They are dumb temporary decorations. Bees don't like them unless they are confused and then they land and leave. They get covered in leaves. They don't come back reliably the next year. If you leave them in pots and it gets too cold, they will die or mold up if you water them too much. Mums are dumb and useless and so hybridized they should be made of plastic by now. They even smell bad. Did I say I don't like mums? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

My nursery told me to buy Asters instead of mums....so I did and they have been thriving for several years. I won't buy mums they are only a momentary satisfaction, they look so nice, but just don't last.

Honored Contributor
I love a cluster of multi-colored mums at my entry door this time of year, but they involve an awful lot of work. They cannot be too dry, or too wet. If temperatures drop, they will get nipped, and then die, so I have to cover them with a sheet, or move them into the garage on the coolest nights. My yellow and bronze mums are fine, but my big red one apparently got nipped, and is dying.
Super Contributor

I have a profusion of mums at my front door. I put mine out in September and change them out once before Thanksgiving. I have never had any that survived the entire season.

Honored Contributor

Make sure you're buying hardy mums, not florist mums. Hardy mums love cooler weather; they're sold by nurseries and garden stores. Florist mums are usually sold at grocery stores and - duh - by florists. Hardy mums are perennial and will come back next year; plant them in full sun. Of course, planting this late in the year can be dicey if your winters are harsh; plant them in a protected area. If they return in the Spring, you can move them to a better area.

Super Contributor
On 10/10/2014 ValuSkr said:

Make sure you're buying hardy mums, not florist mums. Hardy mums love cooler weather; they're sold by nurseries and garden stores. Florist mums are usually sold at grocery stores and - duh - by florists. Hardy mums are perennial and will come back next year; plant them in full sun. Of course, planting this late in the year can be dicey if your winters are harsh; plant them in a protected area. If they return in the Spring, you can move them to a better area.

Nope. Never. Not one of them will come back, and I'm talking about every kind of mum you can imagine from nurseries (I live near so many nurseries as so many people do). None of them come back. They are marked hardy mums too. As in hardy har har I suppose. I will never buy them again.

Super Contributor
On 10/10/2014 momtodogs said:

My nursery told me to buy Asters instead of mums....so I did and they have been thriving for several years. I won't buy mums they are only a momentary satisfaction, they look so nice, but just don't last.

Now these do come back!

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/10/2014 ical said:
On 10/10/2014 ValuSkr said:

Nope. Never. Not one of them will come back, and I'm talking about every kind of mum you can imagine from nurseries (I live near so many nurseries as so many people do). None of them come back. They are marked hardy mums too. As in hardy har har I suppose. I will never buy them again.

I've had the same three mums by my driveway for at least four years and they are huge.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein