Esteemed Contributor

Are day lilies and asiatic lilies poisonous to cats?

I thought I read this some time ago, and was just looking to fill one of my flowerbeds with tiger lilies and/or Asiatic lilies.

Has anyone heard that the pollen from these might be poisonous to cats? So if my boys were to walk in the flower bed (which they would), I would be worried about the pollen getting on their fur and them licking it off.

Am I mistaken?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are day lilies and asiatic lilies poisonous to cats?

According to wikipedia Some Lilium species are toxic to cats. This is known to be so especially for L. longiflorum though other Lilium and the unrelated Hemerocallis can also cause the same symptoms.[38][39][40] The true mechanism of toxicity is undetermined, but it involves damage to the renal tubular epithelium (composing the substance of the kidney and secreting, collecting, and conducting urine), which can cause acute renal failure. Veterinary help should be sought, as a matter of urgency, for any cat that is suspected of eating any part of a lily - including licking pollen that may have brushed onto its coat.[41]

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

I would ask my vet.
Trusted Contributor

Most lillium are poisonous to something.....except moles.

Contributor

Yes, they are toxic to cats. Here is a list from the ASPCA: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list

Esteemed Contributor

Well, thanks to all who took the time to check it out. I was being lazy!

Looks like I won't be planting all those tiger lilies now.

I have 5 kitties and they frequently like to lounge around in this flower bed, so I have to say no to lilies. I wouldn't want to take any chances with my boys!

Honored Contributor

On 10/10/2014 Witchy Woman said:

Well, thanks to all who took the time to check it out. I was being lazy!

Looks like I won't be planting all those tiger lilies now.

I have 5 kitties and they frequently like to lounge around in this flower bed, so I have to say no to lilies. I wouldn't want to take any chances with my boys!

Try for color:blanket flower or gaillardia-- can be all summer long into fall for bloom as long as you remove the spent flowers on them. I didn't see this plant on that list on that link posted earlier. The link below is with images of various varieties of gaillardia.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gaillardia&client=firefox-a&hs=TjU&rls=org.mozilla:en-USSmiley Surprisedfficial&chan...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

why don'y you just google it instead of asking us ???????