Valued Contributor

Tell me what to plant this season! :)

Hi Ladies,

Any suggestions for a shaded porch for this time of year? I have done mums in the past and they've done fine; however, I think I'd like to try something new. I have two large planters on my porch. They get some sun in the afternoons, but most of the time it's a shaded, covered area.

Anything other than mums that would look great in big planters? I know that there are winter pansies that might work, but that's pretty much all I know.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Thanks in advance!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tell me what to plant this season! :)

Check your local nurseries or any place that sells plants. Whatever is being sold right now is usually what you can plant right now. I wish I had a large covered porch. Good luck in finding just the right plantings. Perhaps add some pumpkins. ??

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

Maybe ornamental kale, though it prefers sun. Might last through the winter, though won't get any bigger. You may need several for large containers. Comes in different colors and has a rosette shape.

Honored Contributor

Asters are another fall flower-- think of the word MAPS with M being mums, A being asters, P being pansies and S being sedum.

Boltonia is another fall blooming perennial. You may want to try coreopsis but both of these plants prefer full sun vs. shade. Only thing I can suggest is google fall blooming shade loving plants and see what comes up. My begonias which are shade loving annuals are still going like gang busters in the shady areas I have them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Unless you live in a temperate climate, you'd better decide quickly.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It would help to know where you live, i.e. are your winters cold or are they temperate? And is your porch enclosed? Is it heated? Thanks.

Valued Contributor

On 10/3/2014 twopeas said:

Check your local nurseries or any place that sells plants. Whatever is being sold right now is usually what you can plant right now. I wish I had a large covered porch. Good luck in finding just the right plantings. Perhaps add some pumpkins. ??

Thanks, two peas. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I'm a big fall/Halloween girl and the pumpkins are already out there! Just have to get my planters done and it will look much better.

Valued Contributor

On 10/3/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Asters are another fall flower-- think of the word MAPS with M being mums, A being asters, P being pansies and S being sedum.

Boltonia is another fall blooming perennial. You may want to try coreopsis but both of these plants prefer full sun vs. shade. Only thing I can suggest is google fall blooming shade loving plants and see what comes up. My begonias which are shade loving annuals are still going like gang busters in the shady areas I have them.

Jazz--I appreciate your reply and the advice. Smiley Happy Always love reading your opinion and advice on anything garden-related. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

Btw, I am in the northeast and we get cold winters. However, I'm hoping to find something that will work for the next 2 months maybe and not necessarily thinking that the flowers I plant now will last when it's really cold, say, in January.