Valued Contributor

I usually buy a few Amaryllis kits for the office each year. Last year a Red Lion from Lowe's and an Anthene (white) online.

I was hoping to get a jump on it this year and found that quite a few online vendors are sold out of all their kits or even their bare root bulbs (except for a few very expensive vendors)

The white I purchased last year was a bulb called Athene, and described as being from Israel. Noticed most of the whites this year are a few different varieties.

Wasn't sure if the new stuff for the holdiays hadn't arrived yet, or if there was a problem with getting Amaryllis this year - anyone else know?

Thanks.

Cindy

Honored Contributor

It's probably still a little early. They'll probably be available after Halloween.

Honored Contributor
I don't usually see them locally until right before Thanksgiving; Lowes usually has them in their sales ad on Black Friday.
Respected Contributor

White Flower Farm has the most beautiful Amaryllis:

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/holiday-amaryllis.html

Honored Contributor

I agree about it being too early. If you're seeing stock sold out, I'm betting it's last year's inventory and they haven't gotten new bulbs in yet.

Honored Contributor
On 9/29/2014 Skylands said:

Wow, they have a huge selection! When I pick one, it says shipments don't begin until October or November, depending on the type.

Respected Contributor
On 9/29/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 9/29/2014 Skylands said:

Wow, they have a huge selection! When I pick one, it says shipments don't begin until October or November, depending on the type.

Yes. They get them from the Netherlands or Africa & send when they R ready to plant. They are so beautiful. The BEST!

Please note our Amaryllis will not start shipping until around mid October with the South African varieties shipping first. Our Dutch and Cybisters varieties follow, starting to ship around mid November.

Respected Contributor
Why not get a few for yourself this year and enjoy their blooms. Next year, you can package each bulb and gift it. If you're really lucky, one or more of the bulbs may give YOU a baby present!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much, everyone. Guess I'll wait awhile. Actually, the ones for the office are for my desk. I spend a lot more time there than home and really enjoy them. Never had had any luck getting them to re-bloom.

Honored Contributor

If you're not picky about when they flower you only ever have to buy them once. I've got some amaryllis that are probably ten or more years old and still going strong. Mine typically flower in February/March, but that's fine for me. They will put out bulblets that you can pot up separately and get more plants from.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!