Valued Contributor

Just a reminder to those of you with ornamental grasses. Last fall I cut back my beautiful Zebra grasses and I paid the price. I had three big beauties but cutting them back left them unprotected from the Winter Cold and I lost two of them. I was able to salvage one but wait until early Spring to cut them back.

Respected Contributor

I feel for you. Last year I moved my zebra grass over about 1 foot from the original spot and it died.

Honored Contributor

We always cut our grasses back in the fall because we totally clean up our garden beds every fall. We have zebra grass, the shorter blood grasses (red blades) and the tall (just) green grasses. We've had all of them for years and never have had a problem of them not returning in the spring. We cut our's back b/c they just get so messy and blow everywhere in the fall/winter. Sorry to hear you lost 2 clumps. We also find that our's multiply pretty good on their own.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks - I agree. They may rot out in the middle more readily if it is a wet winter, in my experience, if they're cut back in the fall. I enjoy the tawny foliage and flowers for seasonal interest, more than a stack of stubble. I've learned to be careful in their placement - the taller ones (miscanthus, for one, known as maiden grass - zebra is a form of it) can be obtrusive if they begin to flop at all, in traffic areas. The pennisetum (fountain grass) in my garden looks lovely now, blooms blowing in the breeze (and spreading seed, no doubt).

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I always used to cut mine back in late fall because they just look better through the winter that way. Never had a problem doing that until last year. I lost all three of my fully mature large pampass grass. Also lost two out of 6 butterfly bushes, and those things are almost indestructible. I'm going to wait until late winter to cut everything back this year.

Super Contributor

i am so glad i saw this post!! i have a large pampas grass that about 6-8 big plumes grew this year. they were soooo big and heavy that they all fell over and the grass is not leaning over to the ground! i hated to see it look so pathetic so i was going to go out and just cut it down but i forgot as you know those blades are sharp and i got a couple of cuts and decided to leave it alone for another day. i will wait until late winter/early spring to do that now!

thank you cookie!

Esteemed Contributor

In our area (the PNW), it is recommended to trim them in February or thereabouts. I follow that and have not had any problems. They are so gorgeous and make a beautiful display.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I have 2 large ornamental grasses (Karl Foerster) that I never used to cut back in the fall, but I live in a high wind area and by spring I had broken long pieces of dry ornamental grass strewn through my yard and front porch area. A couple of years ago, I gave up and cut them both back once they were totally browned off. Even with our record setting cold and snow of last winter, my grasses did fine.

Ornamental grasses do need to be divided every few years or they will die off in the center, according to my local nursery.

Honored Contributor
On 9/26/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I have 2 large ornamental grasses (Karl Foerster) that I never used to cut back in the fall, but I live in a high wind area and by spring I had broken long pieces of dry ornamental grass strewn through my yard and front porch area. A couple of years ago, I gave up and cut them both back once they were totally browned off. Even with our record setting cold and snow of last winter, my grasses did fine.

Ornamental grasses do need to be divided every few years or they will die off in the center, according to my local nursery.

I have one large clump that needs to be divided; I have never done this before, any tips on this task? How and when is the best time, etc.? TIA

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor
On 9/26/2014 snickster said:
On 9/26/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I have one large clump that needs to be divided; I have never done this before, any tips on this task? How and when is the best time, etc.? TIA

Oh my, my best tip is to bribe someone to do it for you!!! I had left mine way to long (didn't know they had to be divided), and they started dying in the middle. Went to my local nursery and they told me to divide them in either late fall or early spring.

The root system on mine was so incredibly dense that I couldn't get a spade through it! I finally got my pitchfork and worked and worked around the outer edge and then working further and further in until I got the whole thing lifted, then I stole my giant ginsu knife from my kitchen to cut down through pushing the tip in first and working it down. Had to wear heavy gloves too. It's hard hard work!