Esteemed Contributor

Someone gave me one. I planted it before I knew what it was. Is it really invasive? I have a new garden area where I placed it. Should I pull it? TIA. LM

Honored Contributor

At our previous home, our front banks was covered in periwinkle/myrtle. We had no problem keeping in confined. (there were also tons of daffodils that poked up among it) It was at least 75 years old. We were frequently asked if we would allow others to dig some out as people seemed to have little luck with the newer varieties.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi lulu2. Thanks for your reply.

The periwinkle is in a garden next to gravel on one side and woodland on the other. There is no grass. Only trees, brush and large granite stone. I am hoping it is not too bad. I can keep an eye on it.

I had some creeping Jenny in my rock wall and had to remove it after hearing some horror stories. People trying for years to get it out of their grass.

Your bank would be pretty with the periwinkle and daffodils! LM

Honored Contributor

There are two kinds of periwinkle-- Vinca major and Vinca minor. The only real difference is leaf size between the 2 and both have periwinkle blue 5 petaled flowers in the springtime.

Depending on weather conditions, both can overwinter and survive. Some areas use Vinca minor as filler for container plants and some use it as a groundcover. Both Vincas have their uses in planting.

Vinca major with variegated leaves

Vinca minor

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Jazz, thanks for the info. I have Vinca minor. Do you think it's ok to leave it? I like it but if it's really bad news, I'll safely dispose of it. LM

Honored Contributor
On 9/3/2014 Lilysmom said:

Jazz, thanks for the info. I have Vinca minor. Do you think it's ok to leave it? I like it but if it's really bad news, I'll safely dispose of it. LM

All I can say is every property is different so see how it works by you. Your area is a lot colder than I have here and it might die over the winter. It may also survive and spread. See if it does (a few years will give you an idea) before you decide to keep it or rip it out. The neighbor who gave it to you, does it spread by your neighbor's? This might give you a better idea of how it grows by you.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Good advice. It doesn't spread too much at my neighbor's but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the feedback. LM

Honored Contributor
On 9/3/2014 Lilysmom said:

I live in a duplex - one winter we had vincas growing in a large pot between our garage door and the lady next door garage door. We came north for the summer and when we went back home in the fall we had vinca growing all over the yard ! Pretty little white flowers everywhere. The HOA told us we were not allowed to have them all over like that and we nicely explained that we did not put them there - God did, and if God wanted them there I was not messing with his decision. When we left Florida this spring they were still growing there. Never know what we will find when we get back this fall.

OP - many years ago I lived in an apartment and across the street there was a hillside that was totally covered with periwinkles. They were so pretty and cheerful !

Honored Contributor

Happy Housewife, how do you put up with that homeowner's association? If I recall correctly, they even counted the number of Halloween decorations that you put out. I certainly can respect that they might need to limit the number of cars in the driveway or the length of the grass before it must be mowed, but your group seems obnoxious.

Esteemed Contributor
Thanks for the feedback happy housewife. I am going to keep an eye on it!