Frequent Contributor

Silly Question about Flowers/Plants

Hi Everyone -

I'm back with another question. I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but I want to do this correctly and I guess I'll never learn if I don't ask! Some of you may remember that I am new to gardening, etc... I just bought some mums and another type of plant (can't remember the name). They are all 8 inch in diameter. So here comes the silly question... I bought some pretty 8 inch pots I was hoping to put them in to line our walkway. When I bought the plants, they came in a generic thin plastic container. Can I simply put the plant in the plastic container right into the pot? Or do I need to remove the plant from the container and replant into the pots? I'm sorry - this is so elementary, but so new to me. If it means anything, I'm really excited to learn and see the new colors outside! Thanks so much for reading. Have a good day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Silly Question about Flowers/Plants

You can do both. In our climate, the life of the mums are so short that leaving them in the plastic works good, because the frost will usually take them out before they die from lack of enough nutrients. Transplanting them is probably advisable if you live in climate where they will not get frosted out as early.

If you leave them in the plastic, they will most likely need watered daily, and be sure to feed with something like Miracle Grow.

Honored Contributor

The plants will do much better if removed from the plastic pots and planted in good potting soil so their roots can spread and breathe.

Honored Contributor

OP, either advice is OK but where I live, (midwest) mums never last so I don't spend a lot of money on them. I have yet to have any mum winter over. If there is a variety out there that will last longer than the current season I would love to know!

Gardening is trial and error and have fun.

Honored Contributor

I live in southern WV, and the only mums that ever survived one of our winters was planted in a huge planter in front of my porch. Frost and freeze has always taken them out quickly, so I don't put a lot of money into fall flowers.
Respected Contributor

Sure you can! Plastic pots retain water better than clay ones so less watering. If you wanted to skip the fancier planters and do more work, you could put them directly into the ground, in the plastic pots or out. As people said, they aren't likely to survive the winter. So, enjoy them now anyway you like.

Super Contributor

No question is silly if it brings you an educated answer...

:

Never be afraid to ask a question...Sometimes those

questions may bring an answer you do not like... But

always ask...

:

Each day that you learn something, is a day NOT wasted...

Trusted Contributor

On 9/1/2014 LuvMyBoyz said:

Hi Everyone -

I'm back with another question. I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but I want to do this correctly and I guess I'll never learn if I don't ask! Some of you may remember that I am new to gardening, etc... I just bought some mums and another type of plant (can't remember the name). They are all 8 inch in diameter. So here comes the silly question... I bought some pretty 8 inch pots I was hoping to put them in to line our walkway. When I bought the plants, they came in a generic thin plastic container. Can I simply put the plant in the plastic container right into the pot? Or do I need to remove the plant from the container and replant into the pots? I'm sorry - this is so elementary, but so new to me. If it means anything, I'm really excited to learn and see the new colors outside! Thanks so much for reading. Have a good day.

Remove plants from its plastic container, and repot or plant in the garden soil. Why? If you don't, the roots will wind around inside the pot and around the plant and plant becomes root bound, stunt the plants growth or will cause the plant to die. Don't forget to add some starter fertilizer when you repot or plant. Water the plant to avoid plant shock.
Frequent Contributor

You all have been so helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Valued Contributor

I think that they do better when taken out of the pots; however, I've done both. In my big planters, I actually always *plant* my flowers. But if I have a smaller pot somewhere and I just want to spruce things up, I'll plop the plant in its thin, plastic container right in the pot.