Esteemed Contributor

Anyone else have coyotes or bobcats in their area?

I just saw a coyote slinking around this afternoon, and then a wild turkey running for it's life. I thought I had been smelling urine lately (outside) and my neighbor and I had seen what seemed to be unusual scat, around. Decrepit husband found a half-eaten crow in the back yard, the hawks have been circling and the remaining crows have been raucous - not to mention the duck kill next door. I was also lucky enough to spy a bobcat in early morning light some months ago. Gorgeous creature.

Just curious if anyone has experience living with these wild things. I love having them around, and of course we supervise the dogs and exercise caution when we must walk around in darkness.

Did I mention that my suet feeder has been disappearing? I mean, totally gone. I think that's a raccoon. I now take it in at night.

I would love to hear your stories.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone else have coyotes or bobcats in their area?

It's been too hot here for suet through the summer; we can't put ours out just yet but we will over the winter.

We had coyotes and bobcats a plenty when I lived in Washington state. I haven't seen either yet in California, but I'm sure we do have them. DH saw a grey fox a few weeks ago.

I used to work at a wildlife rescue center and got to hold a bobcat kitten once, while one of the staff did a blood draw. I had to wear some serious leather gloves, just in case. That cute little "kitten" was a hissing, spitting, growling ball of venom Smile

Honored Contributor

I live in southern WV, and we have both of these predators living in my rural neighborhood. My youngest daughter heard our dogs barking, walked out the back door to check things out, and found herself within 15 ft of a coyote. The coyote did not run, and my daughter slowly backed her way into the house. Huntercam has shown the coyote passing through the woods behind our house regularly, but it hasn't passed through the backyard again since the camera was installed. My nephew killed a female bobcat on family property several years ago, and had it mounted. We had heard the cat's call several times, and knew she was close by. These two predators as well as fox and bear, are seen on a regular basis in this area.
Honored Contributor

My sister lives about 10 miles away and she has a lot of coyotes nearby. One even killed her cat. When dd lived near the hills she saw bobcats all the time. In fact, there was a big sign posted at the apartment complex she lived in asking residents to be aware of their presence in the area. The apartments were surrounded by a big fence and there was a walking/biking trail behind them. It was a very nice set up, but she was always too afraid to go back there. She saw other wild animals around there in the early morning on the way to work too. She said they were out before the sun came up.

We only get possums, see deer and and sometimes owls. One night a big owl sat in a tree in our front yard and I loved watching it's eyes glowing and head turning around. They are awesome creatures but never seem to stay around long. We had a baby raccoon come here but it only stayed a few days and my dog ran it off. We used to live in an area where there were a lot of snakes. I hated it especially since my kids were so young at the time and I always had to be on the look out. I was glad to move.

Honored Contributor

Yes... I lived in Southern Calif near the mountains and we had an abundance of coyotes, bobcats, rattlesnakes, owls, hawks (huge!) and I don't remember what else. Insects are poisonous out there as well. I've almost had a baby rattler strike me but he was cold and sluggish. My foot came within a half a foot of him.... I thought he was a stick! I was lucky. I've also come far too close to a scorpion and a tarantula to feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

We've also seen a young mountain lion go across the back portion of our lot (by the mountain base).... yup, keep your animals on a leash, we leashed our dogs when we took them out unless we were right there with them. We also never left water out or had bird baths or anything that would attract a thirsty animal.

We also had bad wildfires and were evacuated twice (almost surrounded by fire once)... moved in Jan 2011 to SE Wyoming and we're seeing tons of antelope, coyotes, foxes, hawks (smaller), jackrabbits, bunny rabbits, prairie dogs and a friend sent me a photo of a mountain lion that was across town walking through the windmill farm that was so well fed, huge and muscular it made our So. CA mountain lions looks like enemic housecats! They usually don't go further east and stay by the mountains on that side of town but we still really watch the dog and never leave out water or have a bird bath....

We love the wildlife too but you really have to respect it. Smile

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Yes on the coyotes. We hear them howling at night and in various directions from here. A neighbor saw one btw her house and mine once. Occasionally I have heard a yowling at night and wonder if it's a bobcat. The same neighbor recently said a deer had been killed nearby and it appeared to have been killed by a animal. Many people go on walks up the road and once I got a second hand report of a mountain lion sighting. Recently I saw a fox run by. You just never know what's next.
Honored Contributor

Once you're in their territory, they keep coming back.

Honored Contributor

We have a woods behind us and we have quite a few coyotes here in Indiana. Bobcats are a rare sighting here but one was spotted not too long ago about 20 minutes away. No bears and not very many poisonous snakes. I have also seen red and gray fox and deer plus all the other small animals you see in a woods. We also see hawks and owls quite often and an occasional eagle.

Honored Contributor

Coyotes moved into South Jersey about ten years or so ago. I was sitting on my back steps with my Golden Retriever one night when off to the left somewhere came the howl of a coyote. A few seconds later an answering howl came from somewhere off to the right. Rosie and I looked at each other and decided it was time to go back inside. I haven't seen any coyotes, but they're definitely around.

A police officer somewhere in the area tried using fried chicken (his dinner) to lure what he thought was a stray dog into his police car to take it to the pound. It was hanging out near the road and he was afraid it would get hit by a car. An animal control guy came along and stopped him and told him the "stray dog" was actually a coyote. The police officer thought it was a shepherd mix of some sort and was trying to save it, but he nearly got himself into all kinds of trouble. Trapping a wild coyote in the back of a car probably isn't the smartest thing you can do.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Yes, we have coyotes and bobcats around us, as well as lots of other critters and creepy things. We live in the mountains. We have a 6' concrete privacy fence that looks like brick with additional wire at the top. The fence extends down under the ground also as coyotes are apparently good at digging. We have three dogs that we watch very closely. Our cats never go outside.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion