Honored Contributor

I bought two nice size pots of these for my front porch yesterday, I needed some color to perk things up, since my ferns have been there all summer! Anyone else like croton plants?

Honored Contributor

I love Croton plants but don't have any at the moment. They have such pretty colors and nice thick leaves. I really always brought mine in the winter months, cut them back in spring and they would come back with new growth. Good luck with yours.

Honored Contributor
I've found them very difficult to grow. Seems as though they always drop their leaves regardless of how they're grown. When I went on a Caribbean cruise, I noticed that people grown them as hedges. They seemed to love the tropics.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Well, I do live in the south and the tag that was on the pot say mist the plants and I would have not thought of doing that! I think the leaves drop off when the soil is real wet, really not sure, but I'm going to give it a try!

Thanks ladies for your comments!Wink

Honored Contributor

They are houseplants that enjoy a summer vacation outside by where I am.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor
On 8/27/2014 JustJazzmom said:

They are houseplants that enjoy a summer vacation outside by where I am.

The same here. I've got a four foot tall one out on my front porch right now enjoying the outdoors, but it'll be coming back inside by the middle/end of September. It colors up nicely in the spring/summer then goes more green in winter. This one really doesn't shed the leaves much. It'll lose an occasional leaf here or there, but no more than any other plant.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Crotons are pretty and come in lots of varieties. With enough light, they are good houseplants (I've had one for many years), and where I live they are considered "tropicals" that can be used as "annuals". They are significantly prone to spider mites so it's always a good idea to rinse/sponge off the undersides of the leaves, or to at least inspect them, and to not let the plant become drought stressed.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I love them too. I had luck with one last year finally! It's dead now but I had it in my kitchen for many months and it looked great. I've had more luck growing them outside.

Respected Contributor

I have had success growing them in my front garden. They add some color. They seem to be very fussy as to location, sunlight, and water. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I am happy to report my plants are doing good, in fact one of the plants is getting new leaves, little babies, LOL! They are on my porch and I have been good about not watering too much, being sure soil is dry! It has still been really hot here in AL ( in the 90's) so I won't have to worry about cool temps anytime soon, probably not till Nov.!

I'll try to post a picture!