Esteemed Contributor

More about hydrangeas this year...

I can't believe what is going on with my lacecap hydrangeas. Here it is almost the end of August and most of them have buds but are not in bloom yet. Is this going to affect next year's blooms because they are so late? I'm in zone 5, east coast Canada.

LM
Honored Contributor

Re: More about hydrangeas this year...

Are you sure those aren't the buds for next year being set?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I have not had a lot of flowers either, but I have buds...which I think are soon to be flowers. I will watch closely. Mine are the 'non stop' variety I believe. The plant is huge green this year but not lots of blooms and is an older plant. I have forgotten if I trim now or just leave it alone, any advice??

I also purchased new this year the vanilla/strawberry color of a hydrangea (Renhy) They both bloomed and went from white to the 'strawberry color' but I am very disappointed in the color, it's sort of a dirty pink color, not what I wanted or expected.

Esteemed Contributor

Jazz, they are definitely going to bloom. I have one shrub with two blooms and lots still unopened. All my mopheads and paniculata (sp?) are pretty normal but the lacecaps are very late.

Momtodogs, I have two strawberry vanilla that are all white so far. Planted late last year so I don't know what to expect in terms of color variation. Will let you know what happens. LM

Honored Contributor

All of my other Hydrangeas have bloomed, but one blue lacecap has just produced a bloom recently, and just one, which I think is strange. I bought it last year on line in a can one year old, as the others.

Respected Contributor

I haven't had one bloom on any of my hydrangeas. Bummer.

Occasional Contributor

Could anyone tell me when the best time would be to plant new hydrangea plants? I love these and would like to give them a try!

Honored Contributor

On 8/25/2014 Lady Lassie said:

Could anyone tell me when the best time would be to plant new hydrangea plants? I love these and would like to give them a try!

Fall (like now) is a good time for planting as the soil temperatures are warm enough to allow the roots to spread out before winter comes. The plants can get acclimated to their new home before the cold temps come.

But unfortunately, many nurseries now have limited stock (they don't want to carry these items through the winter) so your choices are what is available now. In the springtime, the nurseries have more choices to choose among the stock. Its 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I think Fall is usually a good time for most plants to be put into the ground, as it gives them a chance to settle in and produce good roots.

Honored Contributor

On 8/25/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 8/25/2014 Lady Lassie said:

Fall (like now) is a good time for planting as the soil temperatures are warm enough to allow the roots to spread out before winter comes. The plants can get acclimated to their new home before the cold temps come.

But unfortunately, many nurseries now have limited stock (they don't want to carry these items through the winter) so your choices are what is available now. In the springtime, the nurseries have more choices to choose among the stock. Its 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

I bought all of mine on line at Hydrangeas Plus, and other companies. Anyone interested just google where to buy on line.