Honored Contributor

Anyone buying spring bulbs yet?

I have tons of daffodils - literally hundreds - and this year I want to add tulips.

I need something sturdy that will flower after the daffodils have finished.

There are so many kinds - it's fun just to look through the catalogues.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone buying spring bulbs yet?

Wish I could find some. Seems like I'm always just missing them.

Frequent Contributor

I was in Sam's Club yesterday and they had their display of bulbs with dafs and tulips. They looked really healthy and large. I think it might be a bit early to plant them so I held off.

They are starting to appear gradually in the stores so you should see them very soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Got me thinking! I have a nice long display of daffs, jonquils, muscari that have naturalized (thank you ants) throughout the border and lawn (and easement and neighbor's yards - no one is complaining). The series of scilla that continues into the first bearded iris is amazing. Of course there is hyacinth at the front door and the bevy of crocus. I will seek some gregii tulips - red riding hood is a personal favorite (nice striped foliage) since most of the other tulips have faded out and these tend to persist.

Maybe, too, I'll consider forcing bulbs in containers. The unheated garage might be just perfect for it. Anyone have lore to share about that?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Those in the Southern states who want tulips in their gardens, will either have to buy 'pre-chilled' or chill them in your refrigerator (not freezer) for about 6 weeks time. Make sure not to have any ripening fruit in that fridge because the ethylene gas that ripening fruit releases will kill the flowers inside your bulbs.

It should state on the package or where you purchase them-- the words 'pre-chilled' If it doesn't state it, ask the people in that garden department (if at a large nursery, not a big box store nursery).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

My garden is on the northern tip of "southern" - we keep getting re-classified in the hardiness zones - depending on the year and who you talk to, this regions can be a 6A, 6B, or 7 (I think I've even seen the min/max numbers for each zone designation changed around). I plan on 6A and plant tender stuff in microclimates and expect some loss. Though we're always learning and frequently surprised! Nuances in the ecosystem, in my experience, are key to understanding the whys and whens. No pesticides, please! A gentle hand in the garden. Hmmm. Could be my epitaph!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I just ordered a ton of Muscari in various colors. Eons ago, I bought tons of Daffodils and planted them in boxes at the top of the property because I have gophers and moles here, so have to cage everything. I will plant the Muscari in large pots. I still do have some bulbs that are in the ground and come up every Spring, tiny white bell shaped flowers with a strong wonderful scent.

Super Contributor

On 8/23/2014 mousiegirl said:

I just ordered a ton of Muscari in various colors. Eons ago, I bought tons of Daffodils and planted them in boxes at the top of the property because I have gophers and moles here, so have to cage everything. I will plant the Muscari in large pots. I still do have some bulbs that are in the ground and come up every Spring, tiny white bell shaped flowers with a strong wonderful scent.

I confess I had to google Muscari. I had no idea it was the same as grape hyacinth.

Esteemed Contributor

Looking for some more Allium this year. Love! LM

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 Lilysmom said:

Looking for some more Allium this year. Love! LM

I put in allium Schuberti for the first time this year.

They look like fireworks (or snowflakes). They are still in the garden, dry now but very sculptural...I get lots of comments on them!