Valued Contributor

has anyone ever "experienced" anything with a dragonfly?

A very large grey dragonfly was on the screen of a sliding glass door, when I saw him there I went over to where he was, and he stayed there. It was a few years ago but I still remember my experience with this dragonfly. There was something special about him. (Hard to explain )
Super Contributor

Re: has anyone ever ""experienced"" anything with a dragonfly?

I had one ""guide"" my car through a parking lot. Not sure that qualifies as an experience.

Honored Contributor

This happened more than 30 years ago. My brother and I were in our backyard. Mind you, this is a very small yard in the middle of a concrete jungle. No lush gren acres. He flew his toy remote control helicopter and a swarm of dragonflies appeared out of nowhere. It was a bit frightening since we never seen dragonflies in the city.

He stopped flying the copter and they flew away. He started again and they came back. It was mesmerizing. Being a city kid, that may be the first time we saw them in real life.

There are bodies of water a few miles from where we lived.

Till this day, we have talked about it. If we were not there together, I would have sworn it was a dream as memories fade. He flies more expensive, complex helicopters now in a designated flying field with other hobbyists,

The occurance has never happened again. I don't remember if he ever flew that toy copter in the yard again. Maybe we were both frightened what can happen. We didn't appreciate the beauty. We were kids and when a swarm shows up, you don't want a repeat performance. I guess the sound was the right pitch and they felt the mother ship was summoning them. We never forgot.

Honored Contributor

I love dragonflies! Whenever we're out on our boat and just sitting taking in the day in the middle of the lake many times we are visited by a dragonfly. They just sit their with us. Silly, but I always tell myself that my mom has come to visit with me. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Magical.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I love dragonflies too. I have been able to get some up close views because they don't fly off.

There some very tiny ones here, as well as some big ones. There were endangered ones in my area and they delayed the building of a bridge for many years.

Respected Contributor

Well, my husband was a fan of them (as am I) because he lived on a lake in a cabin before he met me.

One day there was a dragonfly caught in a spiderweb by our porch and he was DETERMINED to release it. So I got one of my watercolor sable paint brushes and he tenderly removed it from the web and used the brush to detangle the wings. When it flew off, he was overjoyed.

Esteemed Contributor

For weeks this summer, a grey dragonfly would come and light on our front walk, for long stretches of time. It would fly away, and then return. Every day for weeks. It seemed special and I felt privileged to be aware of this life.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Dragonflies are mosquito eating machines. Good to have around.

Trusted Contributor

Dragonflies are good luck Smiley Happy they hoover over our pool all the time.

Respected Contributor

Love them. Last year, we had a red one that stayed in our front yard for weeks. We told someone and they told someone and the local paper came out to take a photo of him - it went on the front page. Apparently red dragon flies are rather rare.

A few years ago I was in the small grocery near us. As I got to the milk counter, I saw what looked like a very large dragonfly on the floor - sort of a yellowish green color. The color of a lunar moth, but definitely not one. It had gotten damp from a slight leak in the floor and couldn't fly. I thought it would be kind to pick him up and give him a chance to dry out and fly before someone stomped on him. I put it on my shoulder, where he stayed until I finished shopping.A lady in the checkup line behind me commented on my "pin which looked exactly like a real bug". When I told her it was, she backed off. The critter stayed on me when I went outside and loaded my car. He seemed contented there, so I got in the car and drove home with him still riding. When I got home, I took him off my shirt and put him on a bush near the front door where he remained for two full days. The third day he was gone. But I enjoyed his visit and hope he did well after he departed.