Regular Contributor

Those pesky moles and voles!

Alright fellow gardeners, I have a problem with moles and voles in our yard. I know they use the same tunnels. Used to be just in the back yard now they are in the front. We've done all the work with the mole stuff to put on the lawn, but the neighbors on all three sides do nothing, and they always find their way in our yard. I've seem the trails coming from the yard next door to our front lawn. I've used the cone that contains pellets and to insert into the areas they are in, and that works for a while. I've heard of using EX-LAX cause it will cause them to explode when they eat it, (guess it bloats them up). That was a Tasha Tudor's remedy, although I haven't tried that yet. Any suggestions? I'm open for anything, it's just so frustrating and I don't seem to get anywhere.

Super Contributor

Re: Those pesky moles and voles!

A 1/2 stick of Juicy Fruit gum in each hole always worked well for us when we lived in So Jersey. They are irksome little devils, aren't they??

Best of luck - you'll need it!

Honored Contributor

Burrowing rodents do not like the vibrations of whirly-gigs, so buy things that will turn when the wind blows, and place them in the area of your yard where you find their tunnel entry. You can also drop mothballs down into the tunnels, or flood them out with the garden hose. One year we used sticks of spearmint gum to get rid of the moles in our backyard; just tear off pieces of the gum and drop it into their holes.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, causing agonizing pain to an innocent animal? That's pretty harsh.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the tips, I will certainly get some gum and a whirligig. I hate to harm animals, but when they do destruction to a yard or cause an issue, with plants etc, one has to do what one has to do. I'm not a cruel person and do respect the planet earth and it's creatures, but I don't think anyone would want one as a pet in their house, let alone in their flower or veggie garden or yard to destroy the nature I try to take so good care of.

Super Contributor

I like animals but I will NOT have rodents messing up my yard. We had them bad this Spring but our lawn service did something and they appear to be gone.

Honored Contributor

On 8/13/2014 vaccinia said:

Wow, causing agonizing pain to an innocent animal? That's pretty harsh.

I think if they were tearing up your lawn you would try just about anything to get rid of them.

Honored Contributor

We have not had them for quite some time. When we did we put our dogs krap down the holes & that seemed to get rid of them. I guess they did not like other animals business in their tunnels. LOL!!! As far as I know they are after the grub worms so treat your lawn for those.

Regular Contributor

Nightowlz, I had to laugh at what you used, but we do have a dog, and well, at this point, I'll try anything. We did all the grub treatments, but when neighbors don't do anything to their lawns, they still come to ours. The grub treaments are costly and when it doesn't work, you just have to try something else I guess, thanks for your input. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

My Big Boy, Kobe, has terminated 10 voles this season (9 of them were on my front door mat). He is my hero. Kobe is a 25lb orange tabby; we rescued him several years ago.

Only one mis-step: He dragged a still live vole (no. 10!) in thru the dog door (his ingress & egress, much to my dismay) and it took half a day for the rest of the team to corner & eliminate Mr. Vole.

I know there was much discussion about letting cats wander thru neighborhoods. In Kobe's defense I have tried to keep him inside, that's my preference. He learned early, however, to use our dog door. My other cats do not use the door (thankfully) but Kobe was allowed outside before we rescued him and we have been unable to keep him in. He's older so he spends most of his time outside in my front yard garden paroling for voles. I have not had reports of him traipsing thu the neighborhood, and I have asked.

I do not promote wanton animal termination of any kind, but voles & moles have created a mess for us in the past so I''m thankful for my Big Boy!!