Esteemed Contributor

Hi gardeners. I am in zone 5. Everything is late this year. We only started getting good color with coneflowers, Shasta daisies, bee balm, etc a couple of weeks ago. Hydrangeas are late as well. My Endless Summer, Twist and Shout are just coming out now. My peegees, Annabelle, Lime Lights came out first and look good. I have three Nikko Blue hydrangeas that don't have a bud so I am not expecting any blooms this year. I would like to prune the Nikko Blue this year but I don't know when to do it. Can anyone give me some direction? I assume I should wait for the fall and not do it in August. The absence of blooms makes the timing a question mark for me. Has anyone on US East Coast had any blooms on Nikko Blue? TIA. LM

Honored Contributor

If Nikko Blue is an older breed, it would bloom on old wood...which is creating next year's blooms right now.

If you have to prune, do it sooner rather than later...it may even be too late now. Why not call a garden center? They would know the conditions for your area.

Honored Contributor
On 8/11/2014 terrier3 said:

If Nikko Blue is an older breed, it would bloom on old wood...which is creating next year's blooms right now.

If you have to prune, do it sooner rather than later...it may even be too late now. Why not call a garden center? They would know the conditions for your area.

I would do it now, most likely you had no blooms on it due to the extended cold winter we all had in the Northeastern area of US and Canada. The buds froze.

So you lose a few flowers for next year-- especially if you are pruning to shape it. Do it now before September.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Terrier and Jazz. Will do. Hoping for a milder winter this year! Someone told me they don't sell Nikko Blue anymore ... That the Endless Summer variety took them over. I find Endless Summer easier ... Not as fussy in heat. Still love them all though. Happy gardening. LM PS ... Terrier, did you have your garden tour?

Trusted Contributor

I'm in Zone 6 and for the first time in 13 years my hydrangeas did not bloom. I'm so upset as I love putting them in vases throughout my home all summer long and missed their beautify this year.

Occasional Contributor

I am not sure why time zone I am in, But I live on the East Coast, Long Island and my hydrangeas have not bloomed either..The bush keeps growing but no buds. I havent seen my landcaper to ask him. I think it definetly is from the harsh winter. I miss the colors in front on my kitchen window.

Contributor
I'm glad I saw this thread! I live in the northeast and I have several hydrangeas that always bloomed beautifully, but this year nothing! I thought it was something I did but then again I didn't notice any others in the area that had bloomed either.
Respected Contributor

I am in zone 6, too. I don't have even a hint of buds on my Forever Together hydrangea. I also never had any azalea blooms in the Spring. I was really looking forward to see the large blooms and all the colors but apparently not this year.

Contributor

Here in South Eastern New England many folks have no blooms!We had a horrible cold spring w/frost in April.There were tiny buds,but they froze and fell off.Hydrangeas are my absolute favorite bloom and I have 15 large plants and two trees .I have only three blooms on one shrub style plant!My trees have bloomed fine,but are only two years old.So disappointing!

Super Contributor
I'm glad you posted this! I am in zone 5 and got no flowers on my Endless Summer hydrangeas this year either! I thought it was just me. Also my mimosa tree did not leaf out till JUNE!!!