Contributor

Meyer lemon tree - Oh, the joy!!!

I need to make it clear that I do NOT have a green thumb...at all. I ordered one of the Roberta's Meyer lemon trees in February and she (not sure why I refer to her as a female...) came on May 15th. Before the end of the month she already had blossoms. I counted nearly 60 flowers on her and then...the fruit came!!!

I was absolutely flabbergasted that I didn't kill her. She now has 13 lemons-to-be growing. The largest one is easily twice as big as one of those big gumballs from the machines. The fruits are all still green, but I check them several times a day (I know, I know...) to be sure that I notice as soon as the yellow color comes.

Not being a garden kind of girl, I am not sure what you would find helpful to know about my lovely tree, but...I water her every morning with plain tap water. She gets full-on sun all day till about 4:00 pm on my back deck. I did make up the leaf spray mentioned in the directions and I sprayed her leaves a few times...don't really know why, but I did it. Oh, I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, if that helps.

After reading the reviews posted, I just wanted to let people know that even a garden-challenged gal like me can keep a Roberta's Meyer lemon tree alive and flourishing! I wanted to post a review myself, but the item is sold out and the system would not let me post...hence my post here. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Re: Meyer lemon tree - Oh, the joy!!!

So happy to hear about your success! I ordered the Meyer lemon/key lime tree and, unfortunately, it arrived with all of the soil out of the pot. It has been downhill from there. :-( I had hoped to get another one sent but they're all out of stock. Hopefully they return next year and we'll have the same success as you!
Regular Contributor

I also wanted one of these little gems but forgot to order then they were sold out. Question for you...what are your plans for the winter? Does it need to be brought inside for the winter months?
Honored Contributor

I hope you live where it's warm because these little lemon trees like it warm. I bought one 5 years ago and had to bring it inside when the weather got cool. The tree does get big and like I said they like it warm. For me the Meyer lemon tree was more trouble than it was worth, my son even took care of it for two years before he moved to another country. It came back to me last summer and I struggled through another winter with it inside trying to keep it warm enough. Mr. Meyer lemon tree finally went to his reward in the compost heap this spring. I will never take on a responsibility like that again!

Honored Contributor

You can also take lemon seeds, dry them a day or so on a paper towel, and plant a couple of the seeds in a pot with potting soil. keep inside in a sunny window and your seeds should sprout quickly....I have done this many times and always get blossoms but not always fruit....am not a great gardener but this is an easy and inexpensive task if you want to try it.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this!

I think I might try getting one of these for my deck next summer.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor

I will have to bring her inside when the weather cools down. The brochure states that when the temps drop below 50 degrees F, bring in the trees. Things can get pretty cold here in the winter, but I'll try to be hopeful. It also states that the trees like cooler temps with bright sun (not necessarily direct sunlight) in the winter...and to let the soil become dry between waterings...I do not know what will happen over the winter here, but my fingers are crossed.

I will be putting her in my upstairs office with the door closed because in the past, I have had to deal with curious kitties chewing on leaves or using the pot as a litter box. Sheesh!

Respected Contributor

I've had one for three years. So far, it has not grown one inch or produced one lemon. It just sits there in the pot (a big one) and eats the fertilizer and drinks the water and smears at me when I ask it to do something - anything. Just give me a lemon or drop dead. It won't do either.

It's kinds like my "everblooming" day lilies - we still wonder if they will ever bloom. But our hibiscus is giving us blooms on top of blooms- huge big cylinders with such wonderful color. So all is no lost.

Valued Contributor

So happy to hear of your success. I don't have a brown thumb, necessarily, but I am far from a green thumb, so I understand your hesitance when growing this plant. I'm sure it is lovely. And I would love to see a pic!

This is the 3rd year I've had my Meyer Lemon tree, and the first year for fruit. It was loaded with blossoms in the early spring and has over a dozen fruits on it, but they are still green after several months. Has anyone had their tree long enough to know when the fruit is ready? They are still green and quite hard and they have been set on and growing since early May. Your help would be appreciated! Thanks! P.S. I live in Nebraska, so I do have do bring it inside for the winter every year.