Trusted Contributor

Question regarding Kramer's Red Winter Heath

I planted two of these about a month ago in the same area in full sun. One is doing great and the other turned brown. I'm afraid I might not have given it enough water. The one that is doing well gets water from our irrigation that comes on 3 times a week. I have been giving the one that turned brown water ever day and it has some green coming back. I am wondering if I should replace it, cut it back, or see what it does next Spring? Thanks for any advice!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question regarding Kramer's Red Winter Heath

I would see what happens in the spring. If you want, cut off the brown stuff and compost it. Depending on where you live, those calluna/erica plants can be a little picky. They want great drainage and just the right amount of sun - not too hot. Pay heed to the one under the irrigation system. Right now it seems OK, but going forward it may suffer if the crown of the plant keeps getting "rained" on, if indeed the crown is getting the overspray from what I guess is the lawn irrigation system. You may need to adjust the sprinkler heads to avoid that happening. Hand watering for shrub establishment is mostly preferable to automatic systems, because it requires the interpretation of needs.

Cogito ergo sum