Respected Contributor

The Squirrels Are Getting Desperate This Summer - I Kept Wondering Where All

my hibiscus flowers were going. I would constantly see squirrels in my 8 bushes in the front yard. I have pink, lavender and white ones. I watched a squirrel yesterday and saw him pull off the flower perfectly and then sit there and eat it. I use to have tons of flowers and now they are almost gone. I have lots of buds but they wait for the flowers. I didn't know squirrels liked these flowers, I've had the bushes for 10 years now. Usually rabbits will eat certain flowers and luckily they don't like geraniums.

It finally rained all night for the first time in months, so hopefully they will leave them alone. I went out and sprayed repellent around and that seemed to help. Weird summer. My grass was starting to burn up but I didn't want to water the grass because of the raccoon situation. Everyone is desperate for food and water this year.

Luckily I have tons of roses and my 14 mums are finally blooming and they don't eat those. We needed the rain so badly, anyone else having squirrel problems? I have heard the neighbors complaining about the squirrels this year, usually it's the rabbits.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Squirrels Are Getting Desperate This Summer - I Kept Wondering Where All

I have a couple of chipmunks.

I have tomatoes & an apple tree in pots on my patio. (everything is in pots)

The chipmunks pick a grape tomato, go over 3 pots and sit under the apple tree to eat it. I've seen it happen three times.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Squirrels Are Getting Desperate This Summer - I Kept Wondering Where All

We had squirrels and bunnies eating our flowers again but they stopped when DH put mothballs around the flowers.

Honored Contributor

Well, they are going crazy eating all of my bird seed. I know people who try to shoot them with bee bee (sp) I have not idea how to spell that word...guns. I definitely don't agree with something like that.

Until you have a problem with them like we do you have no idea how they chase away the birds.

I use something that is liquid hot sauce. It doesn't affect the birds, but the squirrels don't like it. It does slow them down a bit. It is very expensive but I have to do something!

I looked out my window this morning and smiling back at me, sitting in the middle of the feeder (the one that's guaranteed squirrel proof) was a fat one. He even had 'hot sauce' on his face!

I have to laugh because evidently the squirrels have gotten used to the hot sauce. This stuff is crazy potent I'm telling you. I have special shoes I wear outside so I don't track it in because of my cats.

Anyway, you'll never see me crying about squirrels.

Super Contributor

I like the squirrels, but they don't bother my flowers. There is a walnut tree that they adore. They grab a walnut, give it a taste, and if it's not "ripe," they throw it down and grab another.

They are part of the ecosystem, and I worry when there aren't any squirrels.

Honored Contributor

I have a large hanging basket with purslane in it that the squirrels keep eating the flowers. I guess they find them delish. The flowers can be used in salads. It's actually a weed but love the flowers on it. Gave one to my MIL since she cannot grow anything. I figured since it's a weed she would not have any problems with it. LOL!!! She could not even keep it alive. Had to replant okra & zucchini after the squirrels dug up & ate the seeds. Now that the plants are growing they are not bothering them. The rabbit had baby bunnies in the garden where are green beans are growing. DH spotted them when he was picking the green beans. The bunnies were jumping around. Mama bunny took them some place else.

Super Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Shawn has a ground hog named Gary.

Honored Contributor

On 8/3/2014 ennui_too said:

Respected Contributor

MOST WANTED - 500.00 Reward

I just read to use blood meal which I have and put into hose and hang on the bushes. Also pet hair. Now if only I can find some pantyhose...