Super Contributor

We just put up a hummingbird feeder a week ago and got a lot of hb's but now everytime a hb lands on it, another one chases it off. He sits up in a tree and waits to chase off any other hb.

I didn't know they do that because I've seen more than one hb at time at a feeder. Is this common?

Trusted Contributor
Yes, it is normal. Mine chase each other away all the time.
Esteemed Contributor

I think it is common, especially if 2 females or 2 males are staking out territory. I've only had one pair at a time at my feeder, and they are never really together for feeding. My sister on the other hand, always gets a small group who compete for feeder space.

Respected Contributor

This is very common. I love to watch them. Sometimes they feed together other times they must be in a bad mood because they don't want to to do anything but chase each other away!!!

Super Contributor

Super Contributor
Are you in California? Cause I have been hearing on the news about a new type of hummingbird which has invaded So cal and is chasing away the normal hummingbirds... They are larger than the normal ones...
Super Contributor

Yes, I'm in So.Calif.

Interesting info ... I hadn't heard about that. It just so weird because that hb stays up in that tree stalking the feeder and he's very aggressive.{#emotions_dlg.sad} Our neighbors to the side and behind us have feeders and probably more than I know of so you'd think he wouldn't be so greedy.

Do they say where they're coming from?

I got a pic of him Image result for aggressive hummingbird {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Trusted Contributor
Hummingbirds from Lucifer! If they are now in So. CA, they'll soon be up here.
Esteemed Contributor

They are very aggressive little birds. I have three feeders, one outside my bedroom where only two feed from and two in the front. I notice that when the evening comes and its time to fill their bellies up for the night, they allow each other space, but during the day they are very territorial.

I live in Southern California and mine never seem to leave and even though I know that some will leave and others are coming from other places, I leave a feeder out all the time so they can stop on their journey. You must remember to change the feeder every couple of days. I make my own nectar. I boil the water and make a very sweet solution to last a few days and dilute it with boiled (chilled in the ref rig of course)

Esteemed Contributor

@stillamn8r. I have searched all over the internet for anything about that and cannot find anything. Are you certain?