Esteemed Contributor

Just Saw the Strangest Thing!

This white thing slowly floating through the air for some time, and finally landing in a shrub...did not look like an insect, but was sort of dragonfly-ish; was not a hummingbird, but small like that; did not flap any wings. It was traveling in a horizontal direction as if to find shelter in that shrub!

Looked like it had some sort of a tail that pointed downward. I kept watching, hoping it would come out, but I haven't seen it again. Present windspeed = 9 mph. This was not something that the wind carried, though.

Anyone?

(I've only been drinking tea all day!) Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Re: Just Saw the Strangest Thing!

A ghost may be???
Respected Contributor

Drone?

Honored Contributor

balloon?

Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

You expecting anything from Amazon?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

There is a hummingbird moth that closely resembles the bird. Maybe??

Frequent Contributor

tiny white bugs are called... the ones that look like drifting lint, floating pieces of fluffy , or tiny fairies... they are woolly aphids. The Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America says, "Woolly aphids owe their appearance to filaments of wax secreted from their bodies. The coating keeps them from drying out and repels some predators that would rather not get a mouthful of wax." {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Does this sound like your critter? I couldn't get the picture to copy but you can go to google and and put in woolly aphids and it will show you.

Esteemed Contributor

momshan, this was more the size of a dragonfly.

Perkup, def not hummingbird moths. Those are little chubbies, and I have seen them before.

All I could find online so far was a crane fly, that flies slowly, but I don't know if this was it.

I'll look in my North American Wildlife book. That's always helpful for identification. I just wondered if anyone knew off hand. You guys were helpful and solved my bat mystery! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 7/30/2014 JustJazzmom said:

You expecting anything from Amazon?

Kite? Paper airplane?