Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know why my basil leaves are turning black?? They were growing beautifully last week, full and green. But now, in one pot, the leaves are turning yellow; the other pot, the leaves are shrinking up and turning black. I water them when needed. They get enough sun. Don't understand. Although my neighbor is having a similar problem.

Trusted Contributor

My DH grows basil. At the beginning it was beautiful and green and then it turned yellow and never recovered. However, we also planted Thai basil for the first time and these plants are thriving. They are green, bushy, fragrant and firm. We use them in ALL our wok stir fry dishes.

Honored Contributor
On 7/23/2014 turtle52 said:

My DH grows basil. At the beginning it was beautiful and green and then it turned yellow and never recovered. However, we also planted Thai basil for the first time and these plants are thriving. They are green, bushy, fragrant and firm. We use them in ALL our wok stir fry dishes.

MY Italian basil is getting yellow...and the Thai is doing great for me too.

That's fine with me, I prefer the Thai version anyway.

Honored Contributor

To the OP, your basil got a fungal disease.

PDF on basil diseases

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for Justjazzmom for the interesting article. That is exactly what is happening to my basil and I guess that there isn't much I can do to save my plants. We have had severe humidity and that may be a cause. In any case, it appears that I will have to purchase my basil from the farmers market to make my yearly supply of pesto. (or perhaps even easier, purchase the pesto!!!)

Valued Contributor

Basil is one of those plants that seems to never grow "perfectly" for me and yet friends/neighbors all grow it okay. Mine is always "leggy" and I never seem to get the right moisture/water thing down pat. Other herbs I grow fine. And I know that basil is supposed to be an easier one, but for me & basil, I'm just unlucky most seasons.

I've asked in this forum before about my leggy basil and gotten great advice and even that does not help me. I have a brown thumb with basil for whatever reason.

Respected Contributor

The Genovese basil can be tough to grow. It likes things a certain way, & if not. then you get nada. But I REALLY love the flavor of this variety.

Like others, I grew Thai basil this year instead of the Genovese. I live in the PNW, & we had record rainfall for months. I planted my basil in pots in early May when it was cold & rainy. It still germinated...slow to grow, but it hung in there!

Super Contributor

I am have the same problem in New Jersey. The last 2 years my plants were beautiful ! I make pesto, so its a big disappointment. I thought it was my plants. I notice when purchasing the plants, they looked very small and not that great.