Respected Contributor

Miracle Gro - What Went Wrong?

For years I've been using the single packets of Miracle Gro w/the correct ratio of 1 packet per 2 gallons of water.

I treated my plants a couple of weeks ago and had to throw one away - it went completely limp. I've noticed on the others that leaves are turning brown and falling off. I will more than likely lose 2 more soon.

Any ideas what went wrong?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

Re: Miracle Gro - What Went Wrong?

Do you mean one packet in a hose end sprayer? I hope not one packet in a 2 gallon watering can cuz that would kill any plant.

Honored Contributor

Have you overwatered? Going limp could be over or underwatering or a disease.

Are any of the plants impatiens? The fungus is still around. One day the impatiens look beautiful - then they quickly die!

Respected Contributor

On 7/20/2014 spud188 said:

Do you mean one packet in a hose end sprayer? I hope not one packet in a 2 gallon watering can cuz that would kill any plant.

I bought the package that reads Watering Can Singles. It shows a watering can on the front. "For indoor plants, use 1 packet per 2 gallons of water." My watering can is 2 gallon size.

I've used this formula for years with much success. I've let them drain and dry completely until just this morning when I watered them (no MG).

Trusted Contributor

Your plants may have been too dry when you watered them with the Miracle Grow. If the dirt is dry as a bone when you water - you can burn the roots. Try to do a little pre-watering with plain water - wait a couple of hours then water with the Miracle Grow.

Respected Contributor

Pie - I think you hit the nail on the head. And, yes, the directions state that pre-watering with plain water is good, too. Thanks. I'm going to let them rest for another couple of weeks and then treat as you've suggested.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 terrier3 said:

Have you overwatered? Going limp could be over or underwatering or a disease.

Are any of the plants impatiens? The fungus is still around. One day the impatiens look beautiful - then they quickly die!

You read my mind-- I was thinking the same thing-- such collapse of plants is usually a fungal disease.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I happened to be on line at local Home Depot and saw a box of Miracle Gro and saw that the 1st number was 28!! That is the nitrogen and that encourages foliage not blooms!! I said to myself 'why do they keep selling this?' Better off using slow release products like Espoma Plant Tone which have lower nitrogen and higher phosphorous (encourages blooms that 2nd number) and can be applied 1-2X year and not with such frequency as Miracle Gro does.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Are your pots in plants? If so, what brand of dirt did you use?

Respected Contributor

These are not blooming plants. They're all green. My pots were individually transferred from a dish garden to new clay pots. I used Miracle Gro potting soil.