Contributor

Well, red lily beetles have made it to CNY. I tried all the organic recommendations on line, none of them worked. I had to use Sevin, and they are gone overnight. I hated using such a strong insecticide, but they were destroying all my fancy lilies in record time. I hope they survive and come back next year.

If you get them I would strongly suggest you just go right to Sevin or malathion, as they seem to be resistant to the natural stuff.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't seen them here in SE PA. But my mother is in Western NY and says they are disgusting. She dug up her Asiatic lilies a few years ago rather than deal with the scarlet beetle.

Honored Contributor

Here's a photo of the culprit:

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor
On 7/16/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Lily leaf beetle

Yup..that's the culprit. Horrid thing. Eating my gorgeous lilies! There are no natural predators, so options are limited. They really do a number on the plants. A couple of my plants are stripped completely clean.

Honored Contributor

I am on the West Coast and have a yard full of lilies in the ground and in pots on patio. Guess this is something I have to look forward to!

Honored Contributor
On 7/16/2014 ManolosandChoos said:
On 7/16/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Lily leaf beetle

Yup..that's the culprit. Horrid thing. Eating my gorgeous lilies! There are no natural predators, so options are limited. They really do a number on the plants. A couple of my plants are stripped completely clean.

How have you been? Long time no see!! Miss seeing you on Viperpoints! Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I am considering filling in a planting area with day lilies and wondering if these pests are in Maryland.

Honestly, I have all but given up on planting anything between the deer and insects. Even my English Ivy, which is impervious to almost everything has become a side salad for the deer. Anything else is attacked by slugs and other destructive insects. Sevin is the only solution for most.

Honored Contributor
On 7/17/2014 Witchy Woman said:

I am considering filling in a planting area with day lilies and wondering if these pests are in Maryland.

Honestly, I have all but given up on planting anything between the deer and insects. Even my English Ivy, which is impervious to almost everything has become a side salad for the deer. Anything else is attacked by slugs and other destructive insects. Sevin is the only solution for most.

Daylilies (Hemerocallis) are not Lilies (Lillium) so you can plant them without a problem.

Get the book Gardening in Deer Country and see which plants have A ratings and plant accordingly. Epimedium (Barrenwort) is an excellent groundcover not eaten by the deer.

Esteemed Contributor

Justjazz, I never knew day lilies were not members of the Lily family! Learn something new everyday. I got rid of all my lilies that attracted the red beetle. Couldn't stand the sight of them. A couple of years ago, I vacationed on Hilton Head Island and I could not believe the abundance of deer. They were everywhere. It was actually pretty dangerous in the early morning. Our deer wait until we go away for a week in the fall and they clean every apple off our trees. Our Lab is not around to guard the property and they know just when to come!!! Apologies for no paragraphs. Ipad and QVC...

LM