Esteemed Contributor

This has now happened several times.

The squirrel proof feeder is under the hum feeder. When I go to fill the squirrel proof in the a.m., I've been noticing that the hum feeder is completely empty! There is no way that hums came in the middle of the night and drank up all that nectar!

Last year I caught Mustache sitting on the squirrel proof, sipping out the nectar in the hum feeder. It got to be where I just said, "No!" and she would immediately hop down. Then I raised the hum feeder. All was well after that. (last year)

I hate to blame Mustache now (we all know she is such a little an-gel!) but I can't figure out what else could be sipping out 4 cups of nectar! I've been "training" her not to even get up on the squirrel proof at all. She'd hang on there, trying to open the door for a snack.

Would another night time critter be after nectar? This is a new feeder, and it is very different; I don't see how anyone but the hums could get to it! It's too high for deer...?

Esteemed Contributor
I have seen woodpeckers eat from our hummingbird feeder and other birds also on occasion. We have three hummers keeping us busy this year. So cute.
Contributor

I have purchased several feeders lately were empty over nite. After putting one on my porch found out they were leaking. Have not found any new ones this year either that do not leak. Have tried every thing I can think of to stop them.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/16/2014 fllady said:

I have purchased several feeders lately were empty over nite. After putting one on my porch found out they were leaking. Have not found any new ones this year either that do not leak. Have tried every thing I can think of to stop them.

I'd be thinking this way, too, except that the feeder stays full for the entire day, and is still like that in the early evening.

The one morning I found the bottom part completely unscrewed off and on the ground. Someone...or something...was definitely tampering with it.

About the woodpeckers, I get a bunch of those, but have never seen them at the hum feeder.

Esteemed Contributor

This is really strange! I looked at the feeder at 8:30 last night -- filled!

I looked this a.m. - empty!

I guess the only way I'll know is to install a spy cam!

Honored Contributor

They say raccoons can open anything. They also eat anything.

Trusted Contributor
I don't know where you live, but in Arizona there are a Nectar Feeding bats. When we first moved there my feeders would be completely empty in morning and sticky. Finally I spotted the bats. They come in from Mid July to Sept. So every night I would have to take down my 8 feeders.
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/17/2014 Judaline said:

They say raccoons can open anything. They also eat anything.

The one varmint I never saw around here. They are the nocturnal ones.

I haven't seen Mustache & her entourage yet this a.m. (which is also strange, if not a first!) I wonder if she's hung over from last night.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/17/2014 Moon Dance said: I don't know where you live, but in Arizona there are a Nectar Feeding bats. When we first moved there my feeders would be completely empty in morning and sticky. Finally I spotted the bats. They come in from Mid July to Sept. So every night I would have to take down my 8 feeders.

I hadn't thought of bats, Moon Dance! That may be it, because I do see them!

I plan on taking in my feeder this evening! I bet you're right!

Esteemed Contributor

Mustache is here! And she's walking in a straight line. Guess she was just sleeping in.

I think the mystery is solved with the bats! Smiley Happy

TY to all the sleuths!