Respected Contributor

Need some help. I'm new at gardening and planted a rose bush a couple years ago. It didn't do very well last year but this summer seems to have had good growth and a couple of roses. However, the blooms only lasted a few days and then died and no new blooms. My question is, should I be removing the dead blooms and would that encourage new blooms?

Frequent Contributor
Hi, my roses are still recovering from 3 hot and dry summers in Indiana. I always deadhead the blooms until around August 15th. After that, I let them form rose hips. That prepares the plant for the winter. If you are in an area that doesn't get the severe seasons, you may be able to cut off the dead blooms year round to keep new ones coming. HTH. dragonfly
Honored Contributor

You should be fertilizing it. Do you use Osmocote or Miracle Grow for Roses? Something like that will do the trick.

You can also go out to Jackson&Perkins website (as well as a local nursery website) and see what they recommend for rose care, they have pictures and video.

A local nursery will give you more specific details for your area.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I live in So Cal and roses all over and it has been real hot this month. I get rid of the dead blooms and cut some of the branches off partway. Also have you fertilized them.

Honored Contributor

Sparkle,

yes you should definitely be doing that, there is a special way to deadhead too,

do a search for the correct way, or look

I gave up here because everything is Deer food, {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Esteemed Contributor

I cut my roses and take them into the house where I can enjoy them. It encourages more!

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Most roses have a 5 leaflet area where you remove the spent blooms at a 45 degree angle. Try to remove to an outward facing bud.

Feed with a low nitrogen fertilizer (I use Espoma Rose Tone) monthly during the time they have leafed out to late summer. In our area April to August. Do not feed after that as you want to encourage the roses to start going dormant and not putting out tender new growth which will get zapped by winter winds and cold.

In the early spring (Our area March) remove any browned or blackened stems or canes as they are called to where you see green growth. Always try to keep the centers of rose from being too crowded to allow for good air circulation (it deters fungal diseases). Give your roses at least an inch of water per week and in times of little rainfall (at least 2 inches per week)-- Times of drought. Try to water at the ground level with drip irrigation or with a hose aimed at the ground. Count to 45 slooowly to give your roses a good deep watering.

There are numerous websites devoted to rose culture and pruning.

Tell us where you live and we can all advise better for you and your roses.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

You also need to find out what kind of roses you planted. Some do only bloom once, others keep going all summer long.

I prefer shrub roses because they bloom repeatedly. Hybrid tea roses can be tough to grow successfully.

Trusted Contributor

Justjazzmom - Wonderful instructions! I've forgotten how to take care of roses and your list was a good refresher for me. Thanks!

KJPA
Honored Contributor

Roses need tons of water in addition to fertilizer, and be sure they have been watered the day before you fertilize, then water that in.