Super Contributor

For those of you that garden...how do you store onions for several months? There is no 'cool' place here to store them in the garage, no basement or cellar. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I usually store the store bought ones in the onion bag in my fruit/veg crisper section of my fridge. Maybe in your fridge?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

That's why I don't bother growing onions or potatoes. They are cheap and easy to get at the store.

I prefer to concentrate on things that either cost a lot (heirloom tomatoes) or are difficult to find (Thai and lemon basil),

Valued Contributor

I keep my white/sweet onions in a basket on my covered porch. Wrap each onion in newspaper. They keep a month or more quite well.

Trusted Contributor

I buy sweet onions a few at a time and store them in the veggie drawer in my refrigerator. Not only do they last longer and are nicely pre-chilled for salads and other raw uses.......chilled onions are less likely to make you cry when you slice them!

Regular Contributor

I store onions and potatoes in a mini refrigerator that my son used in college. I turn it up to the warmest setting and it works really well for that type of storage.

Honored Contributor

A cool, dark spot is best, but you can still store the onions in the garage in a corner or area where the sunlight doesn't shine on them. It is best to spread the onions out in a single layer in a cardboard box, or on piece of cardboard, so there is airflow around them. Do not store onions near potatoes, as this causes the onions to soften, and the potatoes to sprout.

Honored Contributor

I keep mine in the crisper drawer of the frig, sometimes for months. Vidalias won't hold up that long, though.