Honored Contributor

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF APHIDS??

I am having major destruction by aphids this year. I noticed a few on the heads of lilies and sprayed them off with hose as I usually do. Yesterday I had to throw away two hanging baskets because of aphids and noticed today I will have to toss another. Is there anything I can spray to get rid of them?

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU GET RID OF APHIDS??

I prefer the organic way using ladybugs to eat them but when you use insecticidal soap (the one created for killing insects and contain no dyes or perfumes) you might also kill the beneficial insects too.

You can also squish them with your gloved fingers too to get rid of them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

I agree, ladybugs!

Regular Contributor

Ditto...an organic only program is the way to go...blast of water and insecticial soap...keep plants healthy with organic fertilizers.
Honored Contributor

I cannot use the water method on these hanging baskets. Can't decide whether to replant them - not much left at the nursery I went to today. I sprayed my window boxes and other pots on my patio. I used a lot of verbena in my baskets this year - I wonder if aphids really like them?

Honored Contributor

Aphids are the bane of my vegetable garden. Try putting a half-full yellow plastic cup or bowl of water near the plants. Aphids are attracted to the color yellow and when they go in the water, they will drown.

Honored Contributor

can you spray the plants with a mixture of Dawn and water? I am trying suggestions from the boards here (THANK YOU!) and so far, everything works! Aphid control was mentioned.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Regular Contributor

I usually get them on my roses, I was told to plant garlic around the plants, they hate the smell or the taste that gets into the ground and into the root systems of the roses. and yes it does work, and a very natural way in doing so.

Honored Contributor

On 6/30/2014 brewhaha said:

Aphids are the bane of my vegetable garden. Try putting a half-full yellow plastic cup or bowl of water near the plants. Aphids are attracted to the color yellow and when they go in the water, they will drown.

You can also use those yellow garden tags (for whitefly infestations too) available from larger nurseries. I noticed that my golden yellow gallardia (blanket flowers) that I USED to have attracted white flies. Once I got rid of them, no more white flies in the garden. Aphids do have the ability to fly.

Lovestoteach, I'm not a fan of using dish detergent which contains dyes and perfumes as an insecticidal soap. There are concentrates of insecticidal soap available to purchase or ready to spray products available.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Ants will take care of them, and we have plenty of those! I actually watched an army of ants carrying aphids in a line, one after the other. After that, I viewed ants differently.