Valued Contributor

Another Hydrangea Q: Two in large outside pots haven't flowered for years!

Hi Ladies,

The other thread about potential fungus on Hydrangea leaves made me realize that I have my own hydrangea Q.

About 8 years ago I was given two beautiful hydrangea. I replanted into large pots in my garden. We cut them back every fall, and in the summer, like, right about now, the leaves themselves are glorious--huge, bright green leaves. However, they haven't flowered in many years, probably 5-6. The green of the leaves is really quite pretty and I haven't done anything to them to make them bloom, or even looked into it. But b/c I am not an expert, I dunno what I've done wrong OR if there's anything I can do to have these gorgeous plants bloom again.

Anyone?

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Hydrangea Q: Two in large outside pots haven't flowered for years!

On 6/23/2014 glmama said:

Hi Ladies,

The other thread about potential fungus on Hydrangea leaves made me realize that I have my own hydrangea Q.

About 8 years ago I was given two beautiful hydrangea. I replanted into large pots in my garden. We cut them back every fall, and in the summer, like, right about now, the leaves themselves are glorious--huge, bright green leaves. However, they haven't flowered in many years, probably 5-6. The green of the leaves is really quite pretty and I haven't done anything to them to make them bloom, or even looked into it. But b/c I am not an expert, I dunno what I've done wrong OR if there's anything I can do to have these gorgeous plants bloom again.

Anyone?

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Two reasons for why no blooms-- first: do NOT prune in fall! You are removing the buds they have set after they flowered! If any flowers do form, hydrangeas should be pruned right after they flower.

Second, buds if any did form last year, might have been frozen and then died due to the extreme winter we have had in many parts of the USA. So that is the other reason for why no blooms. (This happened to my rhododendron, I had no buds on this plant from it flowering last year (in the nursery); I only had new growth of foliage). Solution: wait till next year and hope for the best (no loss of buds due to extreme cold).

Always use a low nitrogen fertilizer on your shrubs (that's the first # on a bag of fertilizer). The higher nitrogen fertilizer encourages foliage not blooms. To encourage blooms on shrubs use a fertilizer with the 2nd number being higher than the 1st number. This is the phosphorus. The 3rd number is the K or potassium.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

some varities only bloom on old stems, so if you are pruning that might be why.

the newer reblooming ones are different.

Do you know the variety you have, if so you could look exactly when to prune, I think most people dont really prune that much if at all.

Super Contributor

I have two hydrangea in pots right next to each other. Last year, one bloomed, one didn't ... I threw some rose food on them this year, as I was passing by ... now, both have buds this year. I guess they were hungry.

Valued Contributor

ennui, jack, and jazz-Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. ennui, come to think of it, I haven't fed them in ages. User error!

Valued Contributor

Jack, I do not know the variety. I wish I did.

Honored Contributor

Many types of Hydrangeas bloom on old wood, so don't require cutting back.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, mouse. I was considering re-potting, so I may feed them at the same time and perhaps give their roots more room.

Dunno if this will help as clearly I'm not an expert in this area! But just sharing my thoughts.