Honored Contributor

I need help with a hydrangea!

I just got a blushing bride hydrangea and placed it in a very large patio pot. The leaves are turning yellow with rusty spots.

I have read that this is not going to threaten the hydrangea - the flowers are beautiful.

It has plenty of drainage, patio pot soil with fertilizer.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Honored Contributor

Re: I need help with a hydrangea!

Rusty spots are the start of a fungal disease. Yellow leaves -- could be overwatering or lack of water depending on where on the plant they are.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 6/23/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Rusty spots are the start of a fungal disease. Yellow leaves -- could be overwatering or lack of water depending on where on the plant they are.

Do you know of anything to give the plant?

The nursery said it was unattractive but won't kill it. I'm keeping my receipt just in case!!!

I know the watering is A-OK.

Super Contributor

I've had that problem with my hydrangea plants as well. I used osmocote (a slow release fertilizer). Don't fertilize after August. We ended up putting a drip line for all of our hydrangea that connects with the underground sprinkler, that way the tops of the plants aren't soaked daily, just the roots get the water. That has helped too.

Honored Contributor

Terrier it might just be a reaction to being transplanted into a new pot. The spots as the nursery said will not harm the plant. Some hydrangeas are prone to spots on leaves-- humidity, watering (from a lot of rainfall maybe or overhead watering). If the leaves are uniformly yellow then it is not chlorosis. Chlorosis means its a lack of iron and you usually give Ironite to the plant in a liquid form. Symptoms of chlorosis are green veins on a uniformly yellow leaf. See below:

Honored Contributor

Fungal spots on hydrangea leaf:

Honored Contributor

On 6/23/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Fungal spots on hydrangea leaf:

THIS IS IT!!!!

Thanks.