Honored Contributor

Show on Olmstead on Friday Night...6/20

PBS is airing an original show on Frederick Law Olmsted and his parks. It's Friday night at 9PM (check your local PBS affiliate to be sure.)

We have a large Olmsted Park system in Buffalo...my son's school was on one of the parks and was named after Olmsted too.

It's always enjoyable to visit one of his distinctive creations - you know you are in an Olmsted park whether you are in Central Park in NYC, Delaware in Buffalo, Highland (home of the Lilac Festival) in Rochester or the Midway in Chicago. I went to the U of C and always wondered why the Midway seemed so familiar. It wasn't until I was there for a year that I found out he designed that area too!

Here is a local review:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/talkintv/2014/06/wneds-olmsted-program-is-designed-beautifully.html

Respected Contributor

Re: Show on Olmstead on Friday Night...6/20

Thanks for the heads up. He was commissioned to design a town very near to where I live.

Honored Contributor

On 6/20/2014 Allegheny said:

Thanks for the heads up. He was commissioned to design a town very near to where I live.

I just seem to KNOW when I am in one of his parks.

They are restoring a lot of Niagara Falls parkland on the US side back to his original design.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if I have ever been to one of his parks. The town he designed is Vandergrift, PA if you are interested in looking it up. I would have loved to be alive back and see it transpire. It is still very victorian and they pride themselves that it was designed by him.

Super Contributor

THanks for the reminder. I saw the listing in the paper this morning and planned on setting it on my DVR and then forgot. Going to go do it right now.

Super Contributor

Ooh that sounds interesting. Olmsted designed the landscape at my college - it was so beautiful. Can't wait to watch - thanks for the heads up. Also, the stuff he did for the Worlds fair was amazing.

Honored Contributor

On 6/20/2014 Allegheny said:

I don't know if I have ever been to one of his parks. The town he designed is Vandergrift, PA if you are interested in looking it up. I would have loved to be alive back and see it transpire. It is still very victorian and they pride themselves that it was designed by him.

He designed Central Park in NYC and the area around the American side of Niagara Falls - plus 7 other parks in Buffalo.

Honored Contributor

On 6/20/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

Ooh that sounds interesting. Olmsted designed the landscape at my college - it was so beautiful. Can't wait to watch - thanks for the heads up. Also, the stuff he did for the Worlds fair was amazing.

Where did you go to school? He designed the Midway that runs through the center of the University of Chicago.

Super Contributor

On 6/20/2014 terrier3 said:
On 6/20/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

Where did you go to school? He designed the Midway that runs through the center of the University of Chicago.

Smith College in Massachusetts.