Esteemed Contributor

LOOKING FOR SAFE WEEK KILLER THAT WORKS

Does anyone have a recipe for an alternative to RoundUp? I hate having that kind of product around. My husband had a bone marrow transplant almost 5 years ago, things are going great, and I hate to have him exposed (along with me!) to all those chemical toxins.

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: LOOKING FOR SAFE WEEK KILLER THAT WORKS

Boiling hot water is supposed to work.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

1 gal white or apple cider vinegar

2 tbsp dawn dishwashing liquid

1 tsp salt

Combine and put in a sprayer or spray bottle. For weeds that are coming up very close to wanted plants, DO NOT SPRAY the weeds. Put some of the mixture in a bowl and use a brush to paint the solution on the weeds.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your responses. Have either of you tried these with success?

The version I saw, but have not tried, is similar to the vinegar one. It uses Epsom salt instead of salt. How important is it to be Dawn? I have the Walmart dupe of Dawn on hand.

Thanks, again.

Esteemed Contributor

So embarrassing, of course, I meant WEED not WEEK killer {#emotions_dlg.blush}.

Respected Contributor

On 6/16/2014 tends2dogs said:

The version I saw, but have not tried, is similar to the vinegar one. It uses Epsom salt instead of salt. How important is it to be Dawn? I have the Walmart dupe of Dawn on hand.

Thanks, again.

I've used boiling water on ant hills, but it kills everything around it and obviously you really can't spray it or paint it, so it can only be used where all that is growing is what you want to eliminate.

I use the vinegar solution regularly. The Dawn is to cut the oily residue that protects so many weeds and makes killing them difficult. Once the oil barrier is broken with the dawn, the salt and vinegar can penetrate and kill the weed/plant. It's the ONLY thing I've ever found that even kills those awful thistle weeds.

Esteemed Contributor

Gonna give this a try! I guess I should get Dawn first, though.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Thanks, again.

I've used boiling water on ant hills, but it kills everything around it and obviously you really can't spray it or paint it, so it can only be used where all that is growing is what you want to eliminate.

I use the vinegar solution regularly. The Dawn is to cut the oily residue that protects so many weeds and makes killing them difficult. Once the oil barrier is broken with the dawn, the salt and vinegar can penetrate and kill the weed/plant. It's the ONLY thing I've ever found that even kills those awful thistle weeds.

Would this work on poison ivy?

Respected Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Eileen in VA said:
On 6/16/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Thanks, again.

Would this work on poison ivy?

Yes, it does. CAUTION THOUGH - even dead when dead, poison ivy can cause a skin reaction in those who are allergic. Learned that the hard way. You need to make sure you cover all exposed skin and bag up the dead poison ivy material. DO NOT BURN IT!

Honored Contributor

I hate weeds, but it is excellent exercise to pull them. I mulch, but they get through anyway.