Super Contributor

Hello - My husband and I bought some rose bushes a few weeks ago. We planted them and everything went great. They bloomed but then we had a storm and all the petals blew off and now we have just the heads of the roses. Sort of looks like at the end of the season. The rest of the plant is lush green except the heads. Will the roses re bloom again? Do we need to dead head them or what do I do to get my pretty roses back!

As you can tell neither of us have much experience in this area.

Thanks for your help {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

You definitely need to deadhead rose bushes.

There are many types of roses...some just bloom once a year, some shrub roses bloom up until frost, some bloom twice (if you deadhead). You have to cut out not just the dead flower, but back to the first leaf with 5 branches.

If you have tea roses - they are the most tempermental and short lived...but they smell fantastic.

Honored Contributor

I would give them a good fertilizer, I use Bayer...I think that is how it is spelled, it comes in a dark blue container and is a bit more expensive. I think it is better than Miracle Grow and you only fertilize only a couple times during the growing season. I use it on all my plants. I use miracle grow on annuals.

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/14/2014 terrier3 said:

You definitely need to deadhead rose bushes.

There are many types of roses...some just bloom once a year, some shrub roses bloom up until frost, some bloom twice (if you deadhead). You have to cut out not just the dead flower, but back to the first leaf with 5 branches.

If you have tea roses - they are the most tempermental and short lived...but they smell fantastic.

to add: also, make sure it is an outward growing bud, so that you don't have new growth growing into the middle of your plant.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor
Bayer is a good rose food, it is also a systemic to reduce insects. I use it when I prune in January and every eight weeks thereafter. Here in California, roses bloom from April through October. If you don't deadhead, they develop rosehips and much fewer repeat blooms.
Honored Contributor

Most spent roses are removed at the 5th leaflet on the stem or cane. Not all roses have 5 leaflets; but the rose stem should be pruned to an outward facing bud and at a 45 degree angle. Do not prune downward into the emerging bud or leaves, prune the opposite direction as the water can run into the emerging bud or leaves and set up your rose for disease.

I just deadheaded mine today after not being in my garden for a week.

With floribundas that have all the flowers in a bunch at the top, I carefully remove the spent ones (usually the center one goes first) and then leave the remaining buds to bloom. When all the buds on the stem have bloomed, I then remove the entire bunch to the 5th leaflet.

Fact information sheet on roses.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor
On 6/14/2014 momtodogs said:

I would give them a good fertilizer, I use Bayer...I think that is how it is spelled, it comes in a dark blue container and is a bit more expensive. I think it is better than Miracle Grow and you only fertilize only a couple times during the growing season. I use it on all my plants. I use miracle grow on annuals.

That's what I use too momtodogs. I love the Bayer because it's not only a fertilizer, but a systemic treatment against pests and fungus. My climbers really thrive since changing to this product. This past winter was really hard on my climbers and I lost just about ALL of my canes that had grown over the years to totally cover my arbor. I had to cut them all back down to about 2 feet, but they are now blooming beautifully and about 5 feet tall already!

Esteemed Contributor

I was about to give some advice and was impressed with all the information about caring for roses. I used to enjoy them growing up. My mother planted our whole yard with something and I helped her and enjoyed her hobby. When I got married hubby and I moved to the mountains and the woods. Well, long story short... very acid soil, little sun AND THE BIGGEE... deer, can you imagine... eating my roses, the ones I did get to grow.

I am so envious. Love roses.

Super Contributor

Thanks so much for all the info and tips!!!

These roses are supposed to bloom from spring to frost so I am not sure what is going on.

I will definately try the Bayer that everyone suggested.

Super Contributor
On 6/14/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Most spent roses are removed at the 5th leaflet on the stem or cane. Not all roses have 5 leaflets; but the rose stem should be pruned to an outward facing bud and at a 45 degree angle. Do not prune downward into the emerging bud or leaves, prune the opposite direction as the water can run into the emerging bud or leaves and set up your rose for disease.

I just deadheaded mine today after not being in my garden for a week.

With floribundas that have all the flowers in a bunch at the top, I carefully remove the spent ones (usually the center one goes first) and then leave the remaining buds to bloom. When all the buds on the stem have bloomed, I then remove the entire bunch to the 5th leaflet.

Fact information sheet on roses.

and thank you too for the fact sheet. Smile