Esteemed Contributor

something is chewing on my lettuce

I'm kind of new to gardening and need some advice about natural pesticides. I don't want to use chemicals. something is chewing on my lettuce sprouts. does anyone have a favorite natural pesticide recipe that you could share please?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Re: something is chewing on my lettuce

Soap sprays may work. Good luck.

Super Contributor

Try to determine what's munching on your lettuce before you attempt a solution. You may have a slug or snail problem, and a soap spray isn't going to be effective.

Honored Contributor

Slugs will leave a slime trail but you should look underneath the leaves for any insects. Sometimes wearing some gloves and squishing them works without the use of any insecticides. Remember you are going to eat your produce.

Could even be rabbits nibbling too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I agree with StylishLady. Try a soap spray. If it works, it's a cheap and easy solution.

Honored Contributor

I used to put diatomaceous earth around plants which keeps snails and slugs away. Now, I just go hunting for the snails and toss them into an area which doesn't have plants.

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps a Rabbit? lol

If you think it's slugs - buy harmless (to plants and animals) Slug-O and shake it around on the surface of the soil - slugs will retreat real fast.

Contributor

I have not tried this yet, but I was told that if you like hot peppers, a habanero pepper spray will keep all bugs off your vegetables. You just blend habanero peppers with water, pour it into a spray bottle and spray your plants.

This also makes a good spicy salsa if you add a little salt. No kidding, we had this at a fish taco stand in Cancun, it was super spicy but so good on the fresh fish tacos. Waiter said that you can add olive oil instead of water if you want.

Super Contributor

try some diluted Dr. Bronners peppermint soap. It has worked wonderful on all my plants!