Contributor

Help saw a huge black snake passing thru my flower beds.. I know they are good for mice etc.. but how do I calm down.. I want him to pick someone else house to stay out not mine.. Smiley Happy any suggestions..

Super Contributor

Leave him/her alone.

Contributor

Ok that is what my head says my heart says yikes I don't want him.. I leave the garage door open to go in and out with tractor and tools etc.. just don't want him there.. thank you so you would leave him alone

Trusted Contributor

There is no calming down for me !!!{#emotions_dlg.scared} I would rather encounter a grizzly!

I know there are mixed opinions of what to do when you encounter any snake. It truly depends on the mood I am in. Sometimes , if it scares me to the point of making me angry yes- I go get the hoe. {#emotions_dlg.devil2} The best snake is one -with no head attached. They are my worst phobia!!!!{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Nature lovers - bash away. It is my body that he would bite, not yours.

Other times, I am more apt to take flight than fight. lol !{#emotions_dlg.laugh} But then you have to worry , the next time you step out that door , where is he????{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

You could toss him the deed to the house - and head for the car!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

He/she could have just been passing through and you may never ever see that snake again. However, you do need to watch for him/her soaking up the sun on the sidewalk or a porch step, and you can bet he/she is there because you have a good food source around your property. Whether it be mice, ground squirrels, birds, snails, etc., he/she will stay in that area as long as food is to be found. The snake will try to avoid activity and noise, but sometimes you do catch them by surprise. Remember, black snakes lay eggs, so if you see whitish, leathery looking eggs in mulch or around a wood pile, those belong to the snake.

We had a black snake who lived underneath our sidewalk for several years and knew he/she was there because we kept seeing the skin he/she shed several times a year. As soon as we knew it was there, we also realized we didn't have snails eating on our hostas. We did keep seeing the tiniest worm sized baby black snakes on our front porch though, which seemed odd. Last year while my husband was leaning on the railing of the porch, a fast moving object caught the corner of his eye, and it was the adult black snake crawling up our front steps. My husband stomped on its head, it slithered back underneath the sidewalk; died, and we had a nice smell for a week, but no more baby snakes on the porch for the rest of the summer.

Trusted Contributor
On 5/27/2014 RedTop said:

He/she could have just been passing through and you may never ever see that snake again. However, you do need to watch for him/her soaking up the sun on the sidewalk or a porch step, and you can bet he/she is there because you have a good food source around your property. Whether it be mice, ground squirrels, birds, snails, etc., he/she will stay in that area as long as food is to be found. The snake will try to avoid activity and noise, but sometimes you do catch them by surprise. Remember, black snakes lay eggs, so if you see whitish, leathery looking eggs in mulch or around a wood pile, those belong to the snake.

We had a black snake who lived underneath our sidewalk for several years and knew he/she was there because we kept seeing the skin he/she shed several times a year. As soon as we knew it was there, we also realized we didn't have snails eating on our hostas. We did keep seeing the tiniest worm sized baby black snakes on our front porch though, which seemed odd. Last year while my husband was leaning on the railing of the porch, a fast moving object caught the corner of his eye, and it was the adult black snake crawling up our front steps. My husband stomped on its head, it slithered back underneath the sidewalk; died, and we had a nice smell for a week, but no more baby snakes on the porch for the rest of the summer.

Now I have "mulch paranoia! " {#emotions_dlg.lol}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Super Contributor

He/she would rather avoid you. Keep an eye out, sing a little, but like someone else said, you may never see it again, anyway.

Honored Contributor
Do you know someone braver than you who could relocate it? The snake is not venomous and serves an important role in our ecosystem.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

all your messages have made me laugh and want to cry too.. I have Ehrlich come every 3 months.. so the idea there is a food source is upsetting to me... I loved the idea of throwing him the deed..

I have mulch in the yard too that I need to get spread I will for sure watch for the eggs..

I love living in country but on days like today I am thinking townhouse in the city Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor
Mothballs... cinnamon oil, peppermint oil, clove oil are all offensive to snakes. It will drive them away Smiley Happy