Valued Contributor
I am wondering when these will show signs of blooming? This is year 2 and they did good last year, but nothing so far. Anyone know when they should start?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flutterby butterfly bush

I have a butterfly bush (I don't know the name) I cut it down early spring and it's showing no signs of life. I really wish I didn't touch it.

Honored Contributor

I have a huge Butterfly bush which I cut back every year, and it comes back growing taller and fuller, except this year, it is dead, but I think that is due more to age.

Valued Contributor

Hmmm, this is too bad. Sorry yours too are not growing. I am hoping its just late.
New Contributor

Guess I'm not the only one with a dead butterfly bush...I'm cutting mine down tomorrow. I give up!
Super Contributor

Don't know where you all live but in my area (southeastern Pa) almost everyone lost their butterfly bushes this year. We are blaming the horrendous winter for the demise of the bushes.

Respected Contributor

Mine is starting to leaf out now at the bottom. It is a little early for them to bloom yet.

Frequent Contributor

I got three of Cottage Farms butterfly bushes two years ago. Last year mine also did well, and I cut them back in April. One is coming back strong, one is trying but not succeeding much at all, and one is dead. The one that's doing well gets a lot of sun; the other two, not so much. But I'm pretty sure it was the terrible winter. I feel bad. My neighbor across the street has one, and it isn't coming back, I don't think.

Trusted Contributor

I live in suburban Philadelphia and it's only been the last 2 weeks that our butterfly bushes have taken off. In April my husband was ready to have them all taken out. I wasn't home so he thought he'd wait. I'm glad he did because now all have lush growth coming from the bottom.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the hope. I will wait to pull them out. I have a butterfly tree too and I think all is lost on it as well. Very sad.