Occasional Contributor

How can I get my Totem Pole to root??

I've purchased 3 Totem Poles over the past couple years. 2 from Roberta's and 1 from the grocery store. I've even gotten a replacement for the 2nd one from Roberta's which I have soaking now.

Over winter the leaves seem to die and they have no roots. I gave my first one to the dog to play with since it appeared dead. This year, after reading a comment from another customer, I put them back in water. They're growing leaves, but no roots. I cut the plumes of leaves off the worst looking one, and put them in water and they're growing roots. So these plants aren't dead, but look horrible.

Any suggestions to get a good root system started?? Roberta's just says that sometimes they have no roots. That seems wrong to me. I have another kind of very similar tree and it's root system is massive.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can I get my Totem Pole to root??

I got one from Roberta's last May and it's doing beautifully, it looks just like the picture says it should look after a year on that little pamphlet that came with it, maybe even better. I followed the instructions about soaking then potted it.It was on my sunporch till about October then I brought it inside over the winter and placed it front of a window so it would get plenty of light. It hasn't developed any withered or brown leaves yet like the phamphlet says may happen and is normal. The pamphlet says the roots develop after you transplant it into the potting soil. I haven't taken it out of the pot it's in to place it in a larger one yet so don't know if the pole has developed roots. I made sure to follow the instructions about scraping the layer of wax off the red end, did you do that?

Occasional Contributor

This is my first totem pole and I followed the instructions to the letter. I just potted it a few days ago. It had already started to grow leaves while it was in the water so I'm hoping that the roots take off. As large as it I would think it would need some kind of root system to survive but I may be wrong. Wishing you all the best with yours!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I did scrape the red end. I don't know if I still have the pamphlet. If I do, I'll read over it again.

The Totem Pole is just really frustrating me. I thought buying one at the grocery store that already had roots would do better, but the same results. Everything else I have is doing fine. I get compliments on all my plants.

I'm going to keep them in water for the time being until I decide what to try next.